Author Topic: HYD JACKS  (Read 6868 times)

Roger Bowton

HYD JACKS
« on: December 28, 2010, 04:39:21 PM »
We have an 06 Monterey with a HWH 2000 air leveling system and would like to add hyd jacks to make the unit a little more stable when parked and was looking for some advice from anyone that might have had this done.  Finding someone  to do this without returning to the midwest  this winter has been a little more difficult than I anticipated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Roger

Gil_Johnson

Re: HYD JACKS
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »
With all the problems others report with hydrualic jacks, do you really want the little bit of stability they will give you?  I'd really give this some serious consideration before making that leap.

Gil

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »
Our old Pace Arrow rocked around a lot more than our relatively heavy Monterey, so we don't have much to complain about when winds kick up on the Oregon winter coast, or when we're just moving around inside.  To us, the "instability" is almost unnoticeable, because we're used to it - it's hardly bothersome.  Others may expect more and be willing to pay for it.  I think this topic was broached earlier this year, and I, like Gil, discouraged the expense of hydraulic jacks.  Our Pace Arrow had 4 A&E electric jacks, and when deployed they definitely made things stable.  But they were problematic from time to time, and in soft or very uneven ground, required me to get out and place broad planks or plates under them.  Many times I thought to myself I should just put boards under my tires, and I often did.  You think it's a piece of cake because you won't have to leave your driver's seat to level up, but electric or hydraulic, you'll find yourself out there checking after each setup and prior to departures.  Thank goodness for my Beaver's easier air leveling system, something the Pace Arrow didn't have.

Given the problems that many report with hydraulic leveling systems, I can't see the value in them as an aftermarket installation.  The air system does just fine to get things level.  Getting used to a little motion is a more valuable alternative to me.  Just my 2 cents.  And 26 years experience worth.  If your coach is really rocking all that much, perhaps there is something wrong in the chassis.

That said, and to answer your basic question, if you have to have them I'd think any Camping World could install hydraulic jacks for you, or a diesel class A dealership.  

-Joel
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 06:01:45 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 07:08:16 PM »
Apparently Camping World isn't big into installing these systems anymore, as they used to be, though many outlets may still offer them.  Going to HWH's site may lead you to one of their installers local to you.  http://hwhcorp.com/dealers34.html

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:37:24 AM »
Roger,
I have to chime in with the anti-jack people. My Marquis has HWH air and hydraulic leveling systems both, and as a fulltimer I may use the jacks once or twice a year. The jacks cause more twist in the coach than the air system, and the jack base will sometimes stick in soft ground if boards are not used, so in my opinion the air system is less trouble and easier on the coach.

Gerald

George Harwell

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 01:48:08 PM »

Guess I will throw in my 2 cents also. If you extend jacks the coach is grounded. I prefer sitting on rubber when lightening strikes. I had HWH install air leveling on the 03 Monterey and really like it. Oh yes, the lightening was not a direct hit but close enough to kill the inverter. That happened before I installed the air leveling.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Roger Bowton

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 05:08:08 AM »
Maybe we are not using the system properly to level. How do you folks level up when you land? it seems that we are more unstable if we just do the auto level without dumping the air first.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 04:55:27 PM »
My system doesn't have a dump switch, so I just hit the auto level.  I've spent a few nights in 30+mph cross winds and it was certainly noticable, but not uncomfortable.  In the spirit of full disclosure, we like sleeping on a boat at anchor as well.  So, a bit of gentle movement is okay by us.

Gil

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 01:42:10 AM »
Typically we put out the slides so the torque on the frame is applied, then I may dump air, but make sure the tanks get fully compressed before shutting the engine down.  I normally only dump if the entry step will otherwise end up too high, since the buscuit burner has trouble negotiating a high first step.  Then I just do the automatic air leveling.  If the ground is so far off that things don't end up where they should, I may do things manually.

Perhaps you need to have the techs at Bend or somewhere check your suspension out the next time you're in for service.  I wouldn't spend $ on hydraulic jacks until I at least did that, to make sure there's not some other reason for the perceived instability.  But then, I personally wouldn't get jacks even if all was okay, cuz like Gil we're used to a little rockin', and to us they aren't worth the cost.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat