Author Topic: Can ladder to body mounts be tightened?  (Read 3111 times)

Mike Shumack

Can ladder to body mounts be tightened?
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:27:05 AM »
On my 2005, I noticed that when I climb the ladder to the roof, as I step onto the ladder it shifts downward a little. I can see the ladder support standoffs (that horizontal pipe between ladder and body) sag a little. The top ladder supports at the roof do not have any movement. Is there a way to tighten these horizontal supports - or is this normal movement?
I weigh 210.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Can ladder to body mounts be tightened?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 11:57:45 AM »
Mike
These ladders are pretty flimsy and some movement should be expected IMHO.  I use the built on ladder only when necessary but a good ladder the rest of the time.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

George Harwell

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 01:28:37 PM »
Mike, yes you can tighten the bars but you have to partially disassemble it. The screw you are looking for is located in a recessed area of the round plate with 4 screw holes that attaches the bar to the body. Remove the screw from the ladder portion then the 4 screws from the body and you will be able to tighten the bar to the plate and reassemble. Nutin to it!

Bart Mix

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »
Mike - I have the same problem with my 03 Beaver Monterey. I carry a small 4-5' step ladder on our travels. When I want to go on the roof, I prop/wedge the step ladder under the 2nd or 3rd step of my roof ladder which makes the roof ladder much more stable as I climb up & down. It now is easier to climb w/o a long first step, supports more weight & takes some of the load off of the roof ladder supports.
Bart from VA

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
I used to joke that two people assembled our '04 Monterey.  They were named WeakWrist and StrongWrist.   WeakWrist put in all the fasteners I had to find and tighten.  StrongWrist put in the ones that caused plastic to crack or the fastener to spin freely if it was loose or needed to be removed.  I stocked a lot of "one size larger" screws. 

The defroster vents were installed by StrongWrist.  I got the screws out, superglued the pieces back together and put it back.  They remained in one piece after that.

Our ladder was assembled by WeakWrist.  It was wiggly at delivery.  Once I took it apart, tightened the screws and put it back together it was fine for the next ten years.   I never hesitated going up on the roof to clean, wax, inspect calk or even look at the view.