Author Topic: 1998 Patriot Hurricane backfire/popping sound  (Read 4175 times)

Eric Palmer

1998 Patriot Hurricane backfire/popping sound
« on: November 17, 2017, 05:57:53 AM »
Hey everyone. Mt wife and I just purchased a 1998 Beaver Patriot Brandywine with 105000km. The Hurricane heater works but every once I a while it will make a backfire/popping sound. Sometime it won’t happen for 30mins but then it will do it a few times in 15 mins. I also notice a lot of air in the the fuel bleeder line down line from the bleeder valve. I’m planning on calling the company in BC that makes them but thought I would ask if anyone had experienced this. On top of that, it’s 0 degrees Celsius here and it really doesn’t put out that much heat. For example, it might take 4 or more ours to heat up at 0 degrees. Is this the norm for the system being meant for warmer climates? Thanks for any advice or comments. Looking forward to taking this to Florida this Xmas for its first shakedown trip!!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:15:31 AM by Eric Palmer »

Mike Shumack

Re: 1998 Patriot Hurricane backfire/popping sound
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:18:37 AM »
Eric,
It sure sounds like your getting air in the fuel. Have you checked that the fuel filter and fuel lines are tight?
Also, be sure you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel in the main tank as the Aqua-Hot fuel pickup line does not go to the bottom of the fuel tank (to prevent Aqua-Hot from emptying your coach's fuel tank). If your main fuel tank was right at 1/4 the Aqua-Hot may start suckign air, before it runs out of fuel completely.

Take a look at this website for Aqua-Hot. http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/forumdisplay.php?5-Aqua-Hot-Questions
You have to register to post a question, but in the meantime scroll through the posts and you may find one with a similar problem, and a solution.
You will need the model number of the Aqua-Hot which is on a plate/sticker on the unit. Note that there are different sections on that forum - so you need to be sure your in the correct one for your heater model.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 06:41:17 PM »
Eric,
Like Mike said, it sounds like you may have a problem with air in your fuel supply, but the Aqua Hot site that Mike referred to will probably not do you any good since your Hurricane system has very few similarities to an Aqua Hot system. The most common reason for air in the fuel system for a Hurricane in a Beaver Coach is loose clamps on the fuel filter for the Hurricane. That filter is usually located on the wall behind the Hurricane and it is accessible from under the coach.

If you can not find any fuel line problems, you probably need to install a fuel return line to let any air travel back to the fuel tank instead of going through the Hurricane burner. Installing a fuel return line is fairly easy. You just take the hose that exits the bleeder valve, install a small orifice (about 1/64 inch) in the hose and add enough hose to connect it to your generator fuel return line. Then you open the bleeder valve and leave it open all the time. The small orifice insures that the Hurricane still has an adequate fuel supply, but it vents an air back to the fuel tank to prevent it from going through the burner.

The return line should stop the backfire problem, but it will not increase the heat output. The Hurricane should keep your coach comfortable at temperatures well below 0 Celsius. So be sure that your summer/winter valves are not set wrong or are partially open.   

Gerald
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:45:43 AM by Gerald Farris »

Pat Long

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »
Hey Fellas, I think he said Hurricane Heater.   Here is a troubleshooting link I have used for my system. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3h4X5uGHJ0

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 12:13:22 AM »
Eric
First let me say welcome to the Beaver family.
The learning curve on these coaches is quite steep if you havent had one before but you will get there.  We have all done that.
Our first Beaver was a 98 Patriot with the Hurricane.  The first four owners had never gotten the Hurricane working and so it was plugged with soot end to end.
Here's a few tips.
The Hurricane will heat your coach very well in freezing conditions but the heat registers need to be serviced.  Make sure they have been vacuumed out well so air flows.  If the fans are dusty they dont move much air .  A can of air for a computer is handy for this.
The heat register under the fridge is too small but can be replaced with a bigger one if you dont mind losing the bottom drawer.
The fuel filter is a problem as is the line from the tank.  The line can rot so it gets pin holes and the clamps dont seal all of which means air in the system.
ITR is in Vancouver Wa.  They will want to change the exhaust to a shorter one instead of it crossing under the coach to the driver side.  Jim Rixon says this is wrong and he designed the unit.    Pulling loose the exhaust and blow air through the muffler and tail pipe might save a new exhaust system.
Good luck and God speed!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Eric Palmer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 01:21:02 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I will be using your suggestions as I troubleshoot. Of course I had another issue pop up being the Voltage Fault light. I will have to do some investigation as to why that is happening.  There is definitely air getting into the fuel. Here is a picture of the return fuel line (I think) after the bleeder valve. You can see the white bubbles/foam on top of the diesel. How much should that bleeder valve be open and what sort of flow rate should I be looking for? Currently it's open 2 full turns and the fuel moves fairly fast with all those bubbles.

Eric Palmer

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 04:01:02 PM »
Any ideas about the above post?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 10:07:24 PM »
Eric,
I do not know what you mean by "How much should that bleeder valve be open". Are you referring to the system with or without the return hose that I suggested above? If you have a low voltage fault, what is the battery state of charge? Have you checked your Hurricane fuel line? How much fuel did you bleed from the system before the air stopped? Does the air return if you bleed the system again? Before I can give you any additional information, you need to be able to answer these questions.  If you need information about the system design and operation, give me a call (713-254-4156) (I am in the Mountain time zone now), and I will explain how the Hurricane operates.

Gerald

Eric Palmer

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »
Thanks Gerald. I called the gentleman I purchased it off of and left a message with him regarding my issues. I know he had done some work on the system and I don't remember exactly what it was he did. When he gets back to me, I'll see if anything he says helps and if not I will give you a call to see if you might be able to help troubleshoot the issue. I do remember him saying something about adding a bleeder line back to the tank as you said, but I'm not sure. I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions.