Author Topic: Slide's crown molding rubs on wood-ceiling trim when slide is retracted  (Read 4827 times)

Mike Shumack

I noticed some scratches on the wood ceiling trim on my 05 Patriot. The cause is that the Driver's side slide crown molding (top edge) rubs on the ceiling wood trim when the slide is retracted (pulled in). It doesn't look like the slide is sagging when it is fully extended as the paint lines match up nicely when the slide is out. However I noticed that when the slide is retracted the bottom edge of the outside wall makes contact before the top edge.

I'm not sure if this normal or indicating that something is sagging.

Is there an adjustment I can make that will add clearance between these trim pieces when slide is In?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:30:36 PM by Mike Shumack »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Slide's crown molding rubs on wood-ceiling trim when slide is retracted
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »
Mike our 06 PT flange on the slide would hit the rear before the front, I did stop at BCS a few times to have it looked at but they never did much to adjust this. If your paint lines up, it sound like you may not have a problem.
Have you checked the ceiling panel this may be hanging down. This panel does drop down for service but it's a 2 man job. I would see if you have any upward play, you may just need some adjustment.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:02:47 PM »
I did find a little up-down movement in the ceiling panel.
I'll need to get a mirror up there and see what is holding the panel up (some "bolts" I assume) and tighten them up. I was watching some YouTube videos on "sliders" and it looks like it is not uncommon for the bottom of the slider wall to touch first, then as the wall is retracted further the top pulls in. However I don't know if that is normal "due to wear" or comes out of the factory like that.

Do these Beavers use the HWH "Space maker" style?

I've been all over the HWH website trying to find a manual but I'm still not sure what model I have. I need to get under the coach and find an "AP number" on the slider assembly I guess.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »
With our 06 PT, bottom of slide would be normal hitting first when we bring in the slide it must rise up as it moves into the coach
I would add some pressure at the top by pulling on the inside molding this would help you can reach the molding while holding the in switch.
Our 06 was an HWH system

The mechanism the hold the ceiling panel up is dual motion as I recall we had two clips holding the panel fully up if you remove these the panel will partly lower but not fall. I actually only lowered the panel a few time in 10 years.

If I recall the crown would clear by 1". You could give BCSales a call and they could provide you the correct clearance.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:46:02 PM by Jerry Carr »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 10:07:57 PM »
Mike,
I have a 05 PT also and had a similar problem.  We had to lower the molding on the slide to give clearance.  We lowered it about 1 inch and have no problems since.  Yes, the bottom of the slide hits the side of the coach first when coming in and going out, you will notice from the inside, the slide tilts slightly toward the ceiling before beginning its travel outward.  Coming in, the slide tilts down to finish slide movement.
Be aware, in 05, the "J" hooks holding the center panel did not have any hinges on them.  You have to unscrew all six "J" hooks before trying to remove the center panel.  A few very late 05 models may have had hinges.  In order to change/clean the AC filter, you must remove this panel and it is really a 3 person job, so be careful.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 10:47:04 PM »
Thanks Roy. You nailed the problem and solution.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 05:47:22 PM »
Mike, The slide trim scraping on the ceiling trim is due to the roof sagging. The sky is actually falling! Take a long straight edge (level or some such) and hold it up against the ceiling, you say it is sagging? Mine is, panic set in. Got an appt with Elite RV repair in Harrisburg Or and had them take a look at it. Eric said he's seen this sag before, the fiberglass roof actually sags due to the construction of the roof, no fix. He took a 1/2" off the slide trim piece, no more interference. I was hoping that they could fix the sag, not the symptom but oh well. As for the ceiling trim, on mine there are two bolt holes for holding that trim on, you can use the upper holes to gain a little bit of clearance.

2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 10:08:30 PM »
I noticed some scratches on the wood ceiling trim on my 05 Patriot. The cause is that the Driver's side slide crown molding (top edge) rubs on the ceiling wood trim when the slide is retracted (pulled in). It doesn't look like the slide is sagging when it is fully extended as the paint lines match up nicely when the slide is out. However I noticed that when the slide is retracted the bottom edge of the outside wall makes contact before the top edge.

It's been almost 3-years now since I asked for a solution to my slide trim scraping on the ceiling trim when I retract the slide. That's how long it takes me to get something done...

The weather was nice today, so I removed that trim piece and cut off about 3/16 to 1/4".
I'm just posting now in case anyone else needs to do this - and is not sure how the trim is attached.

There may be a way to raise the ceiling trim panel (rather than cut the trim) but that would have been a lot more work, and I had that ceiling panel down once before (to change rope lights) and it required that I rented a drywall lift to support/lower it. It's really heavy. But it is not loose, (it could be sagging some, as mentioned) but it is not possible to just loosen the mounting bolts and push it up higher. That is not the cause. I believe the cause is that the slide out room support/travel-rails have sagged over time letting the front top edge of room get too close to ceiling when the room is retracted.

Here's the procedure.
1) remove the side trim pieces. Pull out the wood plugs (two per side) and remove the screws behind them. Then remove the side trim pieces.

2) There are two metal tabs at the top. remove the screw (one screw per tab).

3) there is a large piece of velcro across the center of the upper trim piece. It is about 4 foot long. You need to pull the trim outward to break the velcro grip. Then slide some paint stirring sticks between the trim and the velcro so it doesn't reattach.

4) At the point you need to lift the trim and rotate it a little so the center" hanger" clears the top of the slide room frame.

5) cut the trim, stain (if desired. although no one can see that top edge cut). Reinstall, and job is finished.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:18:30 PM by Mike Shumack »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 03:30:40 PM »
Hello Mike, I had the same problem. I found that the bracket that holds the decorative ceiling panel in place, the middle bracket on the panel was not seated in the top slot of the bracket. This caused the panel to sag and come in contact with the slide. It wasn’t visible to the eye, but I caught it when I checked the brackets with a mirror. I simply lifted the panel and placed into the slot in the upper bracket and then screwed it in place with the self tapping screw. That lifted the panel enough to clear the slide. Hopefully this is all your problem is.
Best of luck,
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 03:48:32 PM »
    That problem arises from servicing the air conditioning return air filters. It is a 2 man job to let that decorative panel swing down to access the filter. Sometimes when reinstalling the panel, it is easy to miss the "hook" section of the retainer bracket secured to the ceiling panel. A mirror and a flashlight helps to see if it is engaged properly. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mike Shumack

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 06:05:32 PM »
Hey Fred,
I'm sure that my ceiling trim panel is installed correctly. I can see where missing a J-hook would cause a similar problem, but that's not the case here. I checked all the fasteners and looked for a way to get the trim panel to sit higher (not hang as low) but that is not possible. It is as high as it will go.

If I lowered the celling panel I could probably shorten the J-hooks a little to deal with this - but cutting a little off the trim seemed to be the easier fix.

I think the problem is caused by the slide room "support rails" sagging over time which makes the top inside edge of the slide room ride higher (tilts that edge up).

My roadside Slide the room sits on two rails (welded to the frame) there is no adjustment there either. There are rollers inside those rails which may be worn out causing the tilt. In the photo you can see the external rollers, and there are internal rollers - which may be the ones worn out. That could also explain the tilt as the room comes in. But I have not been able to confirm that.

You can see in the photo how these arms have a bow.

Also - I did lower the panel last year to replace the rope lights and service the AC filter. I rented a "drywall lift" to support the panel and lower it down. One man job with that lift. The idea to rent the lift came from this forum.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 11:57:53 PM »
When Vicki and I got tired of having to lift that panel in front and in bedroom down, we had a hole cut in the panel and a wooden louvre put in where the filter rests on the louvre.  No longer have to take panel down.  Here are some photos.  I highly recommend any 2005 Beaver or other coach that does not have the hinges installed consider getting this done.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 03:16:34 PM »
After installing the louvered vent, was there any increase in noise from the A/C?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »
When Vicki and I got tired of having to lift that panel in front and in bedroom down, we had a hole cut in the panel and a wooden louvre put in where the filter rests on the louvre.  No longer have to take panel down.  Here are some photos.  I highly recommend any 2005 Beaver or other coach that does not have the hinges installed consider getting this done.
Roy Warren

That's a smart mod. Nice carpentry work.
On my bedroom ceiling trim panel, I can change the AC filter without dropping/lowering the ceiling panel. There is enough gap to get the old one out and the new one installed. The filter had some tape on it (folder over like a "pull tab") that made it easy to remove.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2020, 07:47:18 PM »
Interesting. @Roy Warren Our 2005 Monterey came with louvered doors for the A/C filter. There is a piano hinge on one side on the living room, and the bedroom so they drop down as in your picture.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad