Author Topic: Power cord door  (Read 2128 times)

Samuel Sperbeck

Power cord door
« on: November 23, 2017, 10:27:02 PM »
Our 01 Patriot Thunder has a 5"X11 1/2" top hinged door where you access the power cord and the In/Out switch. Was there ever any provision for keeping that door open? I am thinking about adding a small strut so I won't have to try to hold the door open and operate the switch with one hand while wiping the cord with a towel with my other hand. As always, any help is appreciated. Sam

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Power cord door
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 10:57:41 AM »
I would agree.  It's one of those things that's a small PITA, not significant enough though to spend much brain-time to engineer a "fix."
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 03:23:03 AM »
Can the door and casing be turned upside down so the hinge is on the bottom?
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Samuel Sperbeck

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 11:14:08 PM »
Hi Joel,

Thanks for your suggestion. I looked at turning the frame over and then just turning the door over to get the hinge on the bottom but either method put the slot for the cord too far out of alignment with the cord and would require a sharp "S" curve in order to close the door over the cord. I found a workable solution using a piece of 3/8" aluminum rod inserted into a 1/2" OD by 3/8" ID aluminum tubing creating a telescoping support. My attempt at using a strut was a failure because the strut that would fit the opening didn't have enough travel. I'm satisfied that I won't be dropping the door onto my wrist anymore and can have one hand on the switch and one to wipe the cord with a towel.

Thanks, Sam