Author Topic: Splendide replacement in Palm Springs?  (Read 3161 times)

Bruce Sieloff

Splendide replacement in Palm Springs?
« on: December 01, 2017, 01:11:24 AM »
The original workhorse Splendide in our 2003 Marquis is apparently leaking into the drawer below. After 15 years it doesn't owe us anything. We've been debating about replacing it recently as the fill valve occasionally fails and fills the machine with water when the machine is OFF.  It's possible it's an evap overflow but I'm not going to take it out and to R&R the thing I might as well have a new one put back in. A working washer/dryer is a must have for my DW and the new ones are new and improved. We will arrive in the Palm Springs area on Saturday for a couple of months.  Any suggestions for someone to replace it other than Camping World?  ::)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Re: Splendide replacement in Palm Springs?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 12:20:53 AM »
Recommend buying on line and hire a local to put it in. Service centers will mark up the washer price and charge over $100 an hour for labor. Actually it shouldn’t be too hard to do it yourself with a little bit of help.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:00:06 AM »
Bruce...There is an RV repair shop in Indio that has a good reputation.  The location is down near Dillon Rd by the railroad tracks.  Sorry I don't know the company name.  If you are going to be in a resort where other Rvers are located they would know if they are repeat residents.  Good luck.  I replaced our Splendide and it was not difficult.  You'll need some assistance with the lift.
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

William Jordan

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 03:48:35 AM »
Not that you want to but in case someone else wants to you can replace the valve assy very easily .. there are two one cold and one hot. High price at about 50-60 bucks for a piece of plastic but...  They are what the hose  connects to. I ordered the replacement valve body from splendide US sales rep in Clackamas Oregon. Mine was not shutting off fully and slowly filling the drum and overflowing. Good as new and it’s been a year now. Ours like yours  is a 2002 or 3 model and gets lots of use. I was ready to pick up another new washer and have installed even lined it all up when I called them and they told me it was a easy fix. Hardest part was pulling it out far enough to get the top off to access the valves. Saved about 1200 dollars and went out for a nice dinner to celebrate.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:59:19 AM by William Jordan »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 04:58:15 AM »
Bruce,
If you decide to replace the fill valve assembly on your Splendide, you should also check the water pump for a leak (also an easy repair after the machine is out in the floor) . In 14 years on the road, I have had 2 Splendide water leaks and both of them have been from the water pump. When I talked to the Splendide rep, he said that pet hair can cause accelerated pump seal wear, and contributed the failure of a 3 year old pump to my 2 Greyhounds.

Gerald

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 03:37:48 AM »
I’m sure Benlo RV in Indio could replace it for you. Kevin with Sundance RV repair works on splendide and has repaired ours in the past. The only problem is I don’t think he’s accepting any new customers since he is already plenty busy with his current clients. He comes to your RV to do the work. He’s very knowledgeable and dependable.
Regards,
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 06:34:39 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations. More capacity, control and quieter running make a new unit very attractive. My DW has lost confidence in the unit and I really don't want to find myself in another part of the country with no services when it decides to go belly up. The Splendide repair manual is pretty basic. I would consider repairing the beast myself but my issue is with the removal of the unit, I will need to build a platform to haul the thing out to work on it, and I am concerned about getting dryer vent hose back in place, assuming it has one. The unit is 14 years old with 14 year old plastic parts to match and parts availability is always an issue when you live in the RV and don't have the luxury of parking it beside the house and working at your leisure. Geralds point about dog hair is well taken, my ridgebacks short spiky hairs decorate everything, including I'm sure the water valve. Perhaps I should consider getting familiar with the process. I guess I will call around for RV installers tomorrow.  :-\

Bob Bulot

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »
I’ve  also had good service from Benlo RV in Indio over the last couple of years

I can also recommend Mario’s Mobile RV Repair.  (760) 413-8288.
 Mario installed new AC’s last spring.  Did good work, with reasonable price.

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 10:41:58 PM »
Our new vented Splendide washer is in and running.  I ended up having to connect everything myself as the highly recommended mobile RV people I hired to do the job at our site came without the simplest tools, such as new washers to connect to the existing water lines.  In the end, they functioned only as hired muscle and left us with a new but non-functioning machine, but we certainly could not have removed the old washer and gotten this one up and in the coach without help.  They also hauled the old machine away so at least that was a plus.

Despite the delay in getting the machine up and running, all I can say is what a difference from the original 2003 model!  My wife is thrilled with the larger capacity, all the cycles (including an optional extra rinse), faster drying, etc.  We are both thrilled with how quiet it is when compared to the old one and the fact that it doesn't try to shake itself or us to death when spinning.  Yes, it was more expensive than fixing the old one, but having been down similar roads in the past we simply didn't trust the motor in a 14 year old machine not to die as soon as we fixed the leaking problems.