Author Topic: Suspension Air Bag Replacement 1992 Beaver Marquis  (Read 3910 times)

JCMillerSr

Suspension Air Bag Replacement 1992 Beaver Marquis
« on: December 12, 2017, 12:48:02 AM »
Just before Thanksgiving as we were heading out for a three week trip to visit friends and family we discovered that the front drivers side airbag had apparently developed a leak and thus we were unable to travel.  At that time we left the coach at our local dealer, Alliance Coach in Wildwood, FL.  It has now been three weeks and so far nothing has been done.  It seems that (1) they are unable to come up the correct part numbers and (2) apparently they are unsure exactly how to proceed with the replacement.  Tomorrow I plan to contact Gillig and hopefully secure the proper part number but as to what is involved in the replacement I don't have a clue.  The Service Advisor mentioned that it may require removal of the entire front suspension to gain access to the bag and if so they apparently do not have the equipment or resources to complete the job.  Has anyone else had to replace their airbags on a similar coach of this vintage and if so was it really that difficult?  Right now all I can see is dollar signs in my dreams and they are not coming to me! 

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Suspension Air Bag Replacement 1992 Beaver Marquis
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »
I think that Josams in Orlando would be a more suited place to do this type of replacement.

Alliance Coach can do many things but suspension, airbag, and alignment issues are not their specialty.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Keith Phillips

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:40:18 PM »
I crawled under my 1992 marquis this afternoon, I think you need another opinion. I think if the front end was jacked up and the frame blocked up, lower the axle, and probably remove the shock absorbers then diconnect the airlines unbolt and remove the old airbags and install the new ones. I don't think you have to have the front axle removed. I haven't actually done this on this motorhome,  but I did change the airbags on my 1991 Beaver Baronet. I would think a good truck shop or mobile mechanic could do the job, without major deconstruction. I hope you find someone to do the job.
Keith & Anna Mae Phillips
1992 Beaver Marquis 325 hp 3176 Cat (Jan 2017-Apr 2023)
1991 Beaver Baronet  250 hp 3116 Cat (Feb 2014-Jan 2017)
USCG CWO4 Ret.
Graham WA

Keith Phillips

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 11:49:29 PM »
Just for information Gillig had the best price for the airbags for my Baronet, after I got the part number from them I checked with lots of other places but gillig had them beat.
Keith & Anna Mae Phillips
1992 Beaver Marquis 325 hp 3176 Cat (Jan 2017-Apr 2023)
1991 Beaver Baronet  250 hp 3116 Cat (Feb 2014-Jan 2017)
USCG CWO4 Ret.
Graham WA

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 02:41:45 PM »
We have replaced all the airbages on our 1993 Beaver Contessa.
JoSams did the job. They are SUPER and fairly priced.
Would use JoSams over any others as chassis work is their specialty.
Connie Bradish

JCMillerSr

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 03:16:07 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their responses.  Here is the latest update.....

Contacted Gillig earlier this week and within 5 minutes had the correct part number and verified they were in stock.  Parts are now on order and should be here next week.

After talking with both Gillig and Beaver Coach Sales JoSam's name kept popping up as the go-to guys for anything chassis or frame related.  I also checked with Ring Power (Caterpillar) as well as a couple of local truck shops and confirmed that the job should take no more than 2 to 3 hours per bag to complete without complications.  I am now in the process of talking to a couple of towing companies to arrange to have the RV transported over to either JoSam in Orlando or The Truck Shop in Okahumpha, FL.  Unfortunately the towing charges are going to be almost as much as the repairs.  Too bad I was so close to home that my Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance did not cover me.  Oh well, what can we do.  Guess it would have been worse had we been halfway to our destination and been stranded without a vehicle.