Author Topic: Safe-t-Plus  (Read 3399 times)

jeffprupis

Safe-t-Plus
« on: December 09, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »
Scheduled Super Steer Safet-T-Plus install for next week (no trim kit yet).
Any experience with this and Josams in Orlando as installer appreciated. TIA

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Safe-t-Plus
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 05:15:01 PM »
I have never heard a bad word about Josams. They are supposed to be one of the best around for alignment issues. Keep us informed of the differences the Safe t plus , good or bad!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 12:39:38 AM »
We use JoSams in Orlando. They are absolutely wonderful.
Also have a Safe t Plus. Had this on when I, Connie, was driving at about 58 miles per hour on an interstate and we blew the right front tire. Coach never pulled hard or was hard to control. We went down the road and I was able to finally pull over on the run off lane. After much hyperventilating we both were super glad that we had the Safe t Plus on our coach.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:35:33 PM by Peter and Connie Bradish »
The following users thanked this post: Rick and Laura Stephens, Keith Moffett, LaMonte Monnell

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 02:03:54 AM »
After our coach kissed a guard rail in PA with a right steer tire zip failure at 65mph, there is definitely a Safety Steer in our future, once we get the coach back from the repair shop. When the tire blew, we were across a lane of traffic and into the guard rail before I could react. You have experience the forces involved to understand how quick and violent it is.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:14:11 PM »
Jeff, I am following this thread and would like to hear your thoughts once the job is complete.

Thank you.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 08:14:04 PM »
Had a blow-out in our 1999 PT with Vicki driving.  She could not keep coach on the road but was able to hold it straight after it veered left.  It went into the divider of I-40 east of Albuquerque and up into the on-coming traffic lane before she could get it turned to clear the road and stopped.  Soon after bought our 2005 PT and immediately had Saf-Tee Plus put on coach.  Also had Roy Mueller install the trim unit he developed.  Have hit numerous pot holes since which try to turn the coach and wheels straighten right out.  Would not be without the unit.  Also the trim unit has reduced driving stress on severely crowned roads or high crosswind driving.  Great units.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

jeffprupis

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 07:50:49 PM »
OK, had Safe-T-plus installed today by Josams. Also had alignment checked and adjusted. The Safe-T-Plus has a dramatic impact on steering. Tighter, self return to center and little to no buffeting from passing big rigs. Josam's is awesome. Very professional. Had us in a bay within 10 minutes of arrival out in 1 ½ hours. I would however stress that anyone considering the Safe-T-Plus installed have their alignment checked first. All in all, very happy with the investment. $112 to install Safe-T-Plus (plus approx $600 for Safe-T-Plau) $190 for Alignment.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 08:38:53 PM »
What is the "trim kit" that was referred to?
Is that something that comes from Safe-T-Plus or is that a separate device/kit?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »
Mike, the trim kit by Supersteer (BAC sponsor Henderson’s company) helps you micro adjust the Safe-T-Plus while driving, like if you come across a high-centered road or sudden high winds.  Personally, I’ve had such good experience with just the unit alone on both my old Pace Arrow (put a S-T-P on it around 1990) and our Beaver, that I’ve not deemed the addition of the trim kit worth it’s cost. 

But if you’re interested, check here:
https://www.hendersonslineup.com/trim-unit

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Doug Allman

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 06:55:45 PM »
Mike, you have a coach that takes the largest SAFE T PLUS cylinder and within it is a 200 lb  plus spring. The TRIM kit was developed by Roy Mueller whom is a BAC member and Roy sold to Hendersons.

We had installed the trim kit as we had a SAFE T PLUS on our 1991 Contessa and then our 2004 Marquis. The installation manual for the SAFE T PLUS notes that you get in a level smooth parking lot, drive straight, then let coach come to a stop without using the brakes. Then you install the mounting kit and the SAFE T PLUS cylinder.

Sounds simple enough and it basically is if you are any type mechanic. Problem comes when road is not smooth, is cupped, is unlevel, etc and then you also have the wind. Holding back on the 200lb + spring when driving a long distance gets very tiring as you work to keep the coach tracking straight down the lane. Basically you are constantly adjusting the wheel.
This is where the TRIM kit comes into play as it is an air operated device that when you correct it to align the SAFE T PLUS with the road surface/wind push you are getting allows the coach to track straight without you doing it with your arms. Very simple to operate once you get familiar with it.

As suggested, install the SAFE T PLUS then you can determine if the TRIM kit is worthy of installing.

We blew a right front steer at approx 64 mph on a beautiful July Sunday morning in Nebraska, with my wife driving. Coach stayed perfectly straight, she slowed with no braking until around 10 mph and pulled off to the shoulder side of the highway. The SAFE T PLUS is worth any amount you pay to have it on your coach. The coach's you see in the ditch or rolled over, or in a scrap yard, that blew tires will not have a SAFE T PLUS on them if you look.

Doug Allman

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 07:23:53 PM »
Simple test to verify if you should invest in a SAFE T PLUS. Take off your power steering belt and without even leaving your driveway see if you can turn the coach as you move forward. You can also try at higher speeds but I would not advise to as it gets no better.

We had the hydraulic pump shear a shaft on I-80 on west side Omaha on our 1991 Contessa. It took 2 of us to turn that coach to get off the interstate for fuel on the way back to Michigan.
When you blow a tire the same problem is magnified significantly and you are most likely at some highway speed compounding the problem that no arm strength can overcome, even when you finally are able to respond sufficiently to just steering the coach after you have gathered your wits and looked at traffic conditions around you.

SAFE T PLUS gives you that total advantage and allows you to safely control the 30,000 lb +++ rig you are riding in.