Author Topic: Adjustable cargo bar  (Read 5284 times)

Brad Barnes

Adjustable cargo bar
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »
I have a 2009 Beaver Contessa 42' and found this cargo Bar in the closet but have never figured out what it designed to be used for, anyone have any ideas?

One end has a pad and the other end has a slotted screw. It is adjustable in length.

Thanks for any help.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Adjustable cargo bar
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 01:11:52 AM »
Perhaps a map, paper and/or book holder-desk thingy in front of the co-pilot's seat?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 01:58:53 AM »
You didn't say how long it is or post a picture, but some RVers use things like that to keep slides from drifting out.  Some also use them to hold extended slides from "drooping" when extended. 

Can you post a photo?

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 04:31:30 AM »
We use a similar item, a shower curtain rod, that is adjustable, with pads on each end, to keep our bedroom closet doors from sliding open while traveling. The slide mechanisms that fasten the doors at the bottom and the plastic cabinet latches for the middle of the doors are continually breaking, or the screws come loose.

Perhaps its a 'home made solution' for the same problem.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Dan Murphy

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »
I believe this bar may be used to keep the road side slide from extending. I have one also and I have never had to use and hope I never do!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »
So it's better described as a rod... like a clothes hanging rod?  Perhaps it was used to partition across the interior of the coach immediately behind the pilot's and co-pilot's seats so that the dash air conditioning breeze is held into the smaller front space... and therefore does a better job of cooling the occupied space while traveling.  A curtain rod is placed high across the top edges of the living room slides and a shower curtain or blanket is draped over the curtain rod.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
I believe this bar may be used to keep the road side slide from extending. I have one also and I have never had to use and hope I never do!
I use a bar on my living area slideout as I had the slide open all the way on a right hand turn. It scared the crap out of me for sure. A shop worked on a hyd jack and never refilled the fluid tank. Now I always put it in place.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 03:06:02 PM »
While traveling to Alaska one year our closet clothes hanging bar middle support broke. Our closet goes the length of the back of the coach.We used one of these cargo bars to hold the center support up until we could get it repaired permanently by Davis Cabinets. Maybe it was being used to keep that from happening in your coach.
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »
When we took delivery of our 2008 Contessa I was told it was to hold the driver side front slice in and was a requirement for travel in Canada.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Don and Kathy DuCharme

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 01:26:24 AM »
When we took delivery of our 07 Contessa we were told the same thing as Mike.  It was to hold the front slide closed while traveling. We, also, have never used it and hope we never find it necessary to do so. As a side, I have found it useful to hold the bed up when filling or emptying the storage space or working on the bedroom slide mechanism.
Don
07 Contessa
C9;400HP

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 03:05:19 PM »
This requirement in Canada must be something new. We have traveled through Canada 6 times and never heard of this requirement nor were we ever asked about it at the border checks. A good friend of mine who transported coaches to Alaska for years for his business, Kenai Coach is also unaware of this requirement. I’m not saying it’s not true but if it is it’s certainly not enforced.
Regards,
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 07:28:27 PM »
I purchased my 08, 42 Contessa from Beaver Coach and do not have anything like what you describe.  Or, if I do I've yet to find it. How long is it?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 09:05:42 PM »
After checking their website for the rule and failing to find one, I put that Canadian regulation notion to the Canadian RVDA.  They never heard of such an animal, and neither had the dealers they questioned.  I’m inclined to think it doesn’t exist, and that whoever told Mike that was misinformed.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Larry Fisk