Author Topic: Inverter On or off  (Read 6125 times)

jeffprupis

Inverter On or off
« on: December 06, 2017, 01:39:21 AM »
We have the original Xantrex RS2000 in or '05 Monterey.

At FMCA in Chandler, the Xantrex rep said we should always leave the inverter set to "enabled" EXCEPT when not using shore power. Then only use the inverter when we need AC. Is this proper? 

Gerald Farris

Re: Inverter On or off
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:11:18 AM »
Jeff,
That is the only way that I have used my inverter for the 17 years that I have owned a Beaver (3 coaches). To me it is the only way that makes sense.

Gerald
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:39:26 PM by Gerald Farris »

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:10:37 PM »
We have the original Xantrex RS2000 in or '05 Monterey.

At FMCA in Chandler, the Xantrex rep said we should always leave the inverter set to "enabled" EXCEPT when not using shore power. Then only use the inverter when we need AC. Is this proper?

I don't understand this (maybe its the use of the word "enabled" versus "On"). And this sounds important. So I am seeking some clarification.

My understanding is that the Inverter "converts" 12V (battery voltage) to 120V, and it also monitors and charges the coach batteries (when connected to shore power or the generator is running).

So if you are connected to Shore Power, you are getting 120V and you would not need the Inverter to be turned on (enabled). That is assuming you are receiving enough shore power to meet the coaches electrical demand. But you would want it turned On so the batteries stay charged.

If you are not connected to Shore Power and not running the generator, then you are operating off battery power and that's when you need the Inverter to be turned On.

Since the Inverter also monitors and charges the batteries - why not leave it On all the time?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:12:33 PM by Mike Shumack »

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:15:36 PM »
Our Xantrex in our '04 Monterrey was rarely turned off for 12 years.  There were  lights, lamps and chargers that needed feeding while traveling or temporarily parked.   At the Xantrex seminars held at the factory sponsored rallies through about '08, the reps all said "your choice".  Off if you really need to conserve the batteries for dry camping or on the rest of the time.  I chose "on".

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22:05 PM »
We keep our Magnum on all the time.  While traveling we have several 120VAC "things" being used.  While on shore power it is my understanding that the inverter will supplement 30 amp shore power when needed.  The magnum as a separate on button for the inverter function and the charge function.  I do turn the inverter off (sometimes) while boondocking when 120 not required such as at night when sleeping.  Generally it's on 24/7.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

jeffprupis

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 01:55:03 AM »
Mike: "I don't understand this (maybe its the use of the word "enabled" versus "On"). And this sounds important. So I am seeking some clarification." ENABLED is what the Control panel says when the the inverter is ON.
Thanks all, its what I thought. We'll leave it on at all times EXCEPT when boondocking, then only as needed.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:09:18 PM »
Everyone is basically say the same thing here. You leave the inverter enabled except when you are not on shore power and no 120 volt current is needed. The inverter will automatically switch between on and standby as needed if it is left in the enabled setting. The reason you turn the inverter off if no 120 volt current is needed is because the inverter uses about 5 amps of 12 volt current to keep it operating without shore power, therefore it will unnecessary discharge your batteries when boondocking. 

One misconception that was mentioned above is that "my understanding that the inverter will supplement 30 amp shore power when needed", this is not true for the conventional converter that we all use. The inverter goes into standby mode if it sees 120 volt shore power and produces no 120 volt power as long as it sees shore power, but it will start producing 120 volt power as soon as shore power stops (power outage or tripped breaker) if it is in standby mode. In other words your 120 volt power comes from either shore power/generator or inverter but not both at the same time on a supplemental basis.

Gerald

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »
On page 4 of the Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 inverter/charger manual:

Generator Assist

The Freedom SW Series of inverter/chargers can operate in tandem
with a generator to temporarily assist power loads with large startup
demands such as air conditioners, water pumps etc. A Xanbus
AGS must be installed in the system in order for this feature [to] work.
When this mode is enabled and generator capacity defined, the
inverter will come on-line and assist the generator when the
generator reaches its capacity. The battery bank must be well
charged in order for the inverter to engage this mode. For more
details, see “Gen Support” on page 56.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On page 56 of the Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 inverter/charger manual:

Gen Support

GEN Support is basically generator support for the Freedom SW
that allows power to be automatically drawn from the batteries to
assist an AC generator to support heavy loads (for example, loads
that exceed the available current from the generator).
Generators have a limited output current and it is possible to reach
this limit when operating heavy loads. The Freedom SW is designed
to assist the generator when heavy current demands load down the
generator by supplying additional power from the batteries.
In addition, the battery charger can reduce its charging current to the
batteries so the combined charge AC current and total load current
does not exceed the capacity of the generator or trip its output
breakers or fuses.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:02:38 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 08:29:36 PM »
On page 4 of the Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 inverter/charger manual:

Generator Assist

The Freedom SW Series of inverter/chargers can operate in tandem
with a generator to temporarily assist power loads with large startup
demands such as air conditioners, water pumps etc. A Xanbus...

Essentially what the manual for my Magnum 2800 says, I thought I was imagining things or misreading.  Thanks David.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 12:36:24 AM »
Curious aside here - do those of you who run the Inverter “enabled” while on shore power also have your AGS active as an additional safety? If the Inverter takes over because of a tripped breaker or a shore power outage and you’re not at the coach when it happens, it would seem that AGS needs to be at the ready to protect the house battery bank should the Inverter need to operate long enough to draw it down.

Thanks..
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 12:45:32 AM »
Yes, we do keep the AGS on for that very reason.  If our shore power stops or our portable generator runs out of fuel overnight, for example, then it's not long - 2 to 6 hours - before the batteries get down to about 12v causing the onboard generator, an Onan 12.5kw Quiet Diesel, to kick on.  When the big generator kicks on and we are asleep, it usually awakens us immediately.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 02:00:18 AM »
Neal I also have the AGS set to start at either 90 degrees inside temp. (because of animals) or 11.9VDC on batteries.   The only time the AGS has started the genny is when I forget to switch the Norcold over to gas when dry camping.  The reefer will run the batteries down in a coupe of hours.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 02:26:49 AM »
David and Jerry,
The description that you posted states that the inverter can work with the generator to start large loads like an A/C unit, but that can not happen on our coaches because none of these type loads are wired through our inverters. Your generator is large enough to start any of the loads wired to your entire electrical system, therefore your coach was never set up to use that feature. Like I said, you use either shore power, generator, or inverter but not a combination of any two.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 04:01:50 AM »
Neal I also have the AGS set to start at either 90 degrees inside temp. (because of animals) or 11.9VDC on batteries.   The only time the AGS has started the genny is when I forget to switch the Norcold over to gas when dry camping.  The reefer will run the batteries down in a coupe of hours.
Jerry

Interesting.  Apparently not all our coaches were wired with the refer (non-residential) to only the 50amp Main box, like ours and most others I've known of.  It's outlet does not route through the 30 amp Inverter breaker box, so the refer cannot run down the batteries lickety split.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 06:11:50 AM »
Joel, I hooked up my reefer to the ice maker outlet under the reefer.  That way I run my reefer while we are underway with the inverter on and the alternator charging the batteries.  Saves propane. 
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH