Author Topic: Inverter On or off  (Read 6129 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Inverter On or off
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 07:29:51 AM »
Yup, reckon I forgot you'd mentioned that in previous threads.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Inverter On or off
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 12:46:53 PM »
Jerry & Gerald - I carry a Honda EU3000IS portable generator in my tow vehicle.  Because we like to dry camp when we are traveling and we like to run our TV overnight, we run the 3000w generator overnight and much of the day when watching two TVs, cooking, heating water, etc.  I usually set the Xantrex to Power Sharing 25w.  When both TVs are on, the fridge is on 110v, the AquaHot is heating water, etc., the portable generator is producing near half or more its capacity.  In these times we can still run the microwave and/or hair dryer, etc., because the Xantrex will support the power demand in excess of the Honda's capacity by drawing from the batteries.  Then, when the excess demand has ended, the Xantrex will recharge the batteries using the available excess power from the Honda.

On warmer days we like to run one air conditioner while dry camping.  Because the air conditioners are not wired through the Xantrex, it cannot see the air conditioner's power usage.  Thus, if we run too many powered devices, then the Honda's breaker will kick out because the sum of power demand can easily exceed the Honda's capacity.  In this case, I have to monitor the coach's power demand because the Xantrex cannot see the demand of those devices wired around it.

We learned early on that our coach is a "power hog."  When dry camping, it cannot go through the night without starting the generator.  In fact, it rarely gets past 1 am to 2 am without AGS starting the generator... and this was when the six house batteries were new.  Now, with the 3000w Honda running, we have fewer issues because we do not have to monitor power usage near as closely.  The Honda will run about 20 hours on one 3.6 gallon fill, and when it's running no one can hear it unless they are standing within 15 feet of it.  It works for us.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!