Author Topic: Is Accessory terminal on the Ignition Switch hot when key is in On/Run position?  (Read 2372 times)

Mike Shumack

I want to install my Rand McNally OverDryve 7 (Navigation sys/Media player) device so that I can have it powered On when the key is in the Accessory position and when the key is in the On/Run position. I am thinking of connecting it directly (fused) the Ignition key switch Accessory terminal (which is not too hard to get to).

I am hoping that the Accessory terminal on the Ignition switch stays hot when the Key is in On/Run position. Does anyone know?

I will of course, check the ignition switch terminals myself with my meter when I get around to starting this job, but I thought I'd ask here first, as I plan this project out in my head.  ;)

BTW - I bought the Patriot Wiring diagram ($125) from nwrvsupply but it is a disappointment. It doesn't show the ignition key switch wiring or many of other "chassis" electrical systems (like wipers, headlights, etc.) that would be useful to have.

Pat Long

Will this help for your application hope it will

Mike Shumack

Thanks for the info/reply.
I have been researching this on-line and I posted this question on the iRV2 forum too. So far, from my research and responses received, it appears that the Accessory terminal will be Hot when the key is in On/Run position. That's good to hear. That will make the hook up of my Navigation and Tire Monitoring devices easier.

Gerald Farris

Mike,
Yes the accessory position is hot when in the run position, but excessive current draw on this terminal can lead to premature switch failure. Therefore, is you are going to draw more than about 5 amps, I would use the terminal to trigger a relay and power your accessories with the relay.

Gerald

Mike Shumack

That's a good point.
I want to connect the Rand McNally Overdryve 7 and the Eeze Tire Pressure monitoring screen to the accessory terminal. I'm not sure how much power they draw together so adding a relay would be a smart protection.

Roy C Tyler

I wired in a fused dual lighter plug into the electrical bay under the drivers seat.  I mounted the lighter plug outlets under the dash by the drivers right leg.  It is easy to just reach down and unplug the GPS and tire pressure screen or turn them off when I get to my destination. Also I don't lose information when I just stop for fuel as turning off the key does not turn off the lighter outlets.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Our coach has a single 12v plug and a double 110v plug-in built into a single plastic cover-plate above and right of the accelerator pedal.  These three plug-ins are not connected to the ignition key switch, that is, they are always powered.  When towing, the EvenBrake inertial braking unit uses the 12v plug-in.  The Rand-McNally and my cell phone charger use the two 110v plug-ins.  This leaves all the dash area plug-ins filled when traveling down the road.  So, rather than Leslie having to run a long extension cord from the kitchen to keep her cell phone charged and to run the portable Sirius radio, both of which can use 12v plug-ins, we purchased from Amazon Prime a triple 12v plug-in extension with a short extension cord, and it has two USB plug-ins, too.

https://www.amazon.com/MEIDI-3-Socket-Cigarette-Splitter-Smartphones/dp/B01CL27AZW/ref=sr_1_25_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512690669&sr=1-25-spons&keywords=12+v+plug+with+3+holes&psc=1
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:02:24 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!