Author Topic: Electric awinigs, for what itsw worth  (Read 2959 times)

Robin Goffrier

Electric awinigs, for what itsw worth
« on: December 05, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »
We have 2 electric awnings on our 08 Contessa, a short one over the door and the big one over the main solon slide.  Both quit, about a week apart. The door awning went first and in the extended position.  The main awning self retracted because of a gust and then would no longer respond to any switch commands.  The coach is on our lot in Indio, California and finding  qualified service that would come to the park was not easy. (there are numerous mobile awning repair companies but getting one to return a call was nearly impossible)  I called Beaver coach in Bend where we bought the coach and after we went through some tests on the door awning determined that it needed a new motor. Beaver put me in touch with CareFree of Colorado and they shipped me a new motor.  Service call to install was $150 plus 2 hours of labor at $95/hour.  They ended up knowing their stuff, but the senior man pretty much just sat in the truck and coached the trainee on what to do.  Although their advertisement said they honored extended warranty contracts, that meant they would provide paperwork and call  the insurance company but it was up to me to pay them for the job.  I'm still working with the warranty company to send me a check.   The big awing was a simpler fix.  I found a U-Tube of a similar problem on the same awning and the first place to check was the electrical connection from the awning to the coach which is a 4 prong plug near the top of the enery door.  It is protected by a rubber weather boot which screws around the fitting on the coach.  I found that rubber boot to be loose and when I looked at the prongs on the plug they were blue and fuzzy.  Cleaned up and covered with a bit of di-electric grease and we're back in business for about 2 bucks.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Electric awinigs, for what itsw worth
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:53:57 AM »
You did better than me cost wise. I just had to replace the motor in my Girard 2000 awning. I ordered the motor from them on a Monday, and received it the next Saturday from Fed ex. Of course the end of the box had a small tear. I should have opened it but didn't and accepted it.

Of course on Monday when I opened it up the clip for the end plastic part that goes on the end of the motor tube was missing. I called and the sales dept said they would send me one right out.

I waited for a tracking number but never got one. I called back on Friday and checked, Salesguy said it was sent on Thursday. Well, on Saturday I got the tracking that said it was shipped Friday. Arrived the next Wednesday. Motor was $941, labor was free.....Did it with the wifes help.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl