Author Topic: Headliner Moisture / Stains  (Read 3185 times)

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
Headliner Moisture / Stains
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:26:06 AM »
I believe that I experienced condensation wetness and resulting discoloration in the headliner around the front and rear AC units. I was in Breckenridge Colorado for 3 1/2 weeks with temperatures from a low of 18 degrees to 45 ~ 50 during the sunny days. During the 29 hour drive back to Michigan temps were in the 25 degree range with the Aqua Hot running off the engine coolant heat.

While in the Breckenridge RV site I went through approximately 25 ~ 30 gallons of diesel using the Aqua Hot during the night and early mornings with considerable condensation on the windshield, so there was quite an interior temperature swing during the days.  Once back in Michigan and doing the winter preparation, I noticed faint stains on the headliner.

Fortunately, I am able to park the Beaver inside when not being used, however, I have been in the rain a bit without any noticeable leaking in the AC areas, since both units have the discoloration I am currently attributing the wetness to condensation.  Thinking about installing some type of insulation under the AC intake cover to prevent warm moist area form going into the unit, and possibly running a dehumidifier while cold weather lodging.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this situation?   

Randy

Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Michael Turnipseed

Re: Headliner Moisture / Stains
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:05:56 AM »
Hello Randy, I don’t have the experience with operating the coach in those temps or very few temps since we are new owners ,but around my vents I noticed discoloration and knowing the coach was on the east coast during cold weather that was a consideration. I have also noticed discoloration above the shower not only around the sky light.
I atttribute that to shutting off the fan and closing the shower door before allowing the stall to fully dry. Seems like condensation could be the culprit, hot air rising venting that is still susceptible to outside  temps?
If that therory flys how do we get rid of the stain?

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 04:21:13 AM »
I kept a dehumidifier running all the time.  In storage it was in the shower and drained into the shower drain.  When living in it, it was in the bedroom.  It was amazing how much water it produced.  I had to empty it almost every day. 

Jerald Cate

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 04:59:03 AM »
I've had success removing the water stains by using a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar in a spray bottle.  Just spray it on the discolored areas, don't soak the area, it may take 2 or 3 applications to completely remove the stains.

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:07:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I was able to to use a spot remover product to (seemed to remove the discoloration).  Plan to purchase Folex as recommended for the Spring clean-up.

Also, going to look into buying a small dehumidifier too!

Randy
Randy & Jane Stephenson
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 03:11:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I was able to to use a spot remover product to (seemed to remove the discoloration).  Plan to purchase Folex as recommended for the Spring clean-up.

Also, going to look into buying a small dehumidifier too!

Randy
Randy, Folex blew me away when I bought it.  I received it from Amazon and tried it on a small spot.  I was so amazed I just kept going until I had sought out every small stain in the coach!  Yes I have a bit of ADD that makes me fixate on things at times!  Great stuff.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 12:27:17 AM »
Jerry:

Thanks for the feedback, definitely on my spring clean up supply list.

Randy
Randy & Jane Stephenson
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP