Author Topic: Where is the "Phone Line" cable from Wet Bay?  (Read 2999 times)

Mike Shumack

Where is the "Phone Line" cable from Wet Bay?
« on: December 18, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
I've been tracing coax and audio/visual cables all week. I'm left with two that I can't trace.

One is the phone cable that starts at the "Wet Bay" panel (this is the panel that also has "Cable" and "Sat" jacks. I have traced those. I can't find the other end of the "Phone" cable? I wonder if it went directly to roof mount satellite dish location. If so, it is cut and covered in dicor now, as the previous owner removed the Sat dish and cut the grey multi-wire cable and disconnected the coax cables.

What is purpose of the "Phone" jack in the Wet Bay? Is it for the Satellite service?

I was thinking it could be for Campsite providing some sort of phone service to coach - but that wouldn't make sense. I have a phone line running from Bedroom to upper right cabinet, and from the wall plate (by Driver's right knee) to the upper cabinet, but nothing going to the outside. It's not the correct type of cable or jack for Network services.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Where is the "Phone Line" cable from Wet Bay?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
Mike,
Not sure on the 05 but on earlier coaches the phone jack in the wet bay connected to the phone jacks inside the coach to provide phone service at a camp site. Can't see why yours would be any different.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:41:39 PM »
Okay. I wasn't sure what was provided by the RV Park. So does the Park provides each site "phone number" that people can call you at - or is it more like connecting to a switchboard? I suppose that phone setup is not very useful anymore - now with everyone having a Cell phone.

Then there should be a line coming in (maybe it dropped down behind the cabinet). I have two lines ending/starting in the upper right cabinet going to different parts of the coach. It would make sense for the incoming line to be in that cabinet too - to connect to the other lines.

Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 06:14:03 PM »
Mike,
Phone line is used for a number of purposes in the coach, i.e. Surge Guard, Aladdin, inverter control panel, etc. You'll probably  have to trace them with a wire tracer.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 08:03:30 PM »
Mike,
Phone line is used for a number of purposes in the coach, i.e. Surge Guard, Aladdin, inverter control panel, etc. You'll probably  have to trace them with a wire tracer.
Steve

Steve, I have two telephone lines (standard RJ11 plug ends) which are just hanging loose in the upper cabinet (one goes to the bedroom, and the other to a wall plate on front dash by Driver's knee (labeled "computer" (maybe it was for an old style 2400-baud modem  ;). As it is not a modern CAT5/6 network cable).  I used a cable tracer to confirm where those cables went.

But I also have a wall plate in the Wet Bay with an RJ11 plug receptacle - and I can't find the "other end" of this telephone line.

It's not important - and I probably will never use it. But if anyone knows where this phone cable goes once it leaves the Wet Bay I'd like to know.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 09:12:33 PM »
Mike,
Some up scale RV parks provided phone service to each site 15 or 20 years ago, but with the wide scale usage of cell phones today, that practice ended years ago. I have owned 3 Beaver coaches, a 1993, a 2000, and a 2002 and all of them were wired for a land line phone service with phone jacks in the coach.

Gerald