Author Topic: Diesel dripping from 2003 Cummings ISL 370hp  (Read 3145 times)

William Harmon

Diesel dripping from 2003 Cummings ISL 370hp
« on: December 12, 2017, 08:12:27 PM »
Recently noticed a spot on driveway which is diesel fuel dripping down Bell Housing between engine and transmission.  With engine running, it drips a drop appx. every 5 seconds.  Leak does not occur when engine is not running.  I have pulled the engine hatch off located in bedroom but can't see the fuel line or connection.  A diagram in the Cummings manual shows the fuel line connector on the back side of the engine on intake side.  Any information on how to get to fuel line connector would be appreciated.

Bill Sprague

Re: Diesel dripping from 2003 Cummings ISL 370hp
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:51:48 AM »
I had that on an '04 with a Cummins.  It need a new lift pump. 

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:41:05 AM »
Same thing happened on my 2003 Cummins......twice. It was the lift pump just above the alternator.  The second time was 1 year and two weeks after the first time....Warranty was 1 year and they would not honor it because it was 2 weeks over.  Only had 900 miles on the lift pump.  First one was replaced by Cummins and the second one was replaced by Massey in Phoenix.

George Harwell

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »
Chuck, I think you meant to say the lift pump is above the starter on the right side of the engine. That's where it is on my 03 Monterey. There's nothing above the alternator mounted on the left side. It is a pain to get to it but can also have access from above by removing the floor panels in the bedroom. Had mine changed by Cummins and glad I did. A skinny little kid crawled under the coach and spent over 2 hours working alone. Merry Christmas everyone.

William Harmon

Re: Diesel dripping from 2003 Cummins ISL 370hp
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 02:26:31 AM »
Thanks to each of you for responding to my diesel leak.  It is leaking diesel on exhaust pipe and needs to be corrected as soon as I get the coach back.  Currently having hydraulic hoses replaced that go to the two front slides.  Sounds like replacing the Lift pump should be made by a Cummins mechanic.  The engine still starts easily.  I will take it in for testing by Cummins to confirm the problem is the lift pump.  I will advise you when the problem is corrected.