Author Topic: Front levelers leaking  (Read 5210 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Front levelers leaking
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:49:19 PM »
 I got my coach ready for a trip a few days ago. It had been sitting on the levelers for least a couple weeks and when I retracted the levelers to move it to my driveway the front levelers began leaking. It leaked on both sides but it was not excessive maybe a half cup full on each side. I went on the trip anyway and extended the levelers for set up..... now I do not see any leaks at all on the concrete pad.  Do I need a repair shop or.... What do you think is going on here?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Front levelers leaking
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »
Fred,

Are these the original levelers?  If so, during the early stages of leaking, it would not be uncommon for them to leak in this manor.  It will get worse and you will need to address this issue at some point in the future.  There are several options that will cost money to fix and/or repair.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:59:07 PM »
 Thanks Karl.  I have an appointment on Monday for someone to check out the levelers. I can’t believe all the things that go wrong with this motorhome. As soon as one problem gets resolved another one pops up. I just tried the washer today for the first time and none of the wash cycles work. Only the rinse, drain, and spin cycles work. What a bummer! Hoping that things get better soon.
Fred & Cindy

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 12:56:22 AM »
Fred, my first year in my 03 were expensive and frustrating.  After all the initial problems it has been ,relatively, smooth sailing.  These beasts are expensive to maintain no doubt.  I hope you get over the hump soon because it is worth it, to me anyway.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 04:15:44 PM »
I agree with Jerry above completely. We have had our Contessa for over 5 years and have a long list of repairs, replacement parts, and upkeep. I get rattled sometimes as I have been medically retired from the Air Force since 1992. Our income gets us by but not tons for repairs.

Going full time next June finally for the second time(another story)......It just isn't cost effective for us to have a home and motorhome both. I have had some terrible service from a few shops(some of which were rated top notch). if anyone will have a problem it will be me it seems.

Good luck with your rig, it does get better.....
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 12:03:15 AM »
 Thanks guys, it does indeed get better. The levelers are still leaking but far less... down to a few drops and I was able to get the washing machine working again. We washed three loads with no problems. And... I learned how to look up our overall MPG since new on the Aladdin and it is 8.0 with 60,123 miles.  We spent this past week in Branson Missouri and just got home today. We enjoyed the coach a lot.
Fred & Cindy

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:54:08 PM »
Well.... My two front jacks are still leaking and I am not sure if it is coming from a fitting or the cylinder. Anyway... I called Beaver service in Oregon and they want $995 each jack, ouch! Plus you have to pay another $900 up front for each jack that is refunded back after you send to them the old jack core.  By the way the jacks you receive are actually rebuilt which is why they want the old core.  I believe I will find some other recourse.  Anyone have a good procedure to check where the hydraulic fluid is coming from?
Fred & Cindy

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 11:30:22 PM »
I have heard of folks just taking faulty jacks to local hydraulic shops for repairs.  Just a thought.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 02:00:25 AM »
Yep, concidered that too.  Taking it to a hydraulic shop in St. Louis next week.  Not sure what they can do but I will let you guys know.
Fred & Cindy

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 11:54:40 AM »
This link might give you something to consider:

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,6631.msg48005.html#msg48005
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Doug Allman

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 02:08:44 PM »
Fred, Call HWH in Moscow Iowa which is in the middle of Iowa on I-80.

We had them refurbish several of our jacks on our 1991 Contessa. Have also talked to others that have worked with them at their shop and we all agree they are great to work with. They will do whatever they can if you go there to get you in and out and are very reasonable on costs. None like the costs you are talking about have ever been stated by them.

They build them and they know how to fix them correctly. One of our friends was there last summer and they have a Itasca which needed some service. When all was said and done they told them it was completed and gave them an invoice. Owner mentioned he did not see that they serviced one item he wanted done. They stated that it was done but they found it was not installed correctly so they fixed it at their cost. This on a 2002 coach!

And if you go there and see a guy walking around talking to everyone but wonder whom he is due to his very country casual dress, He is the Owner of HWH. You cant go wrong.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 04:00:50 PM »
Fred and Doug,
I do not think that HWH will/can work on the SMC system jacks because they were not designed to be serviced like the HWH jacks. Since the HWH jacks are threaded together with O rings, they are fairly easily repaired vs the welded together design of the SMC system jacks that require much more fabrication to repair.

Gerald

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »
Fred and Doug,
I do not think that HWH will/can work on the SMC system jacks because they were not designed to be serviced like the HWH jacks. Since the HWH jacks are threaded together with O rings, they are fairly easily repaired vs the welded together design of the SMC system jacks that require much more fabrication to repair.

Gerald
I believe Gerald is correct. When the factory removed my front jacks, they left the back ones on and capped them off as they didnt have the proper equipment to remove the rear wheels to get them off. I took it to my local shop to get them removed.
The biggest issue is the weight to ship them anywhere. They are very heavy.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »
Fred, Call HWH in Moscow Iowa which is in the middle of Iowa on I-80.

We had them refurbish several of our jacks on our 1991 Contessa. Have also talked to others that have worked with them at their shop and we all agree they are great to work with. They will do whatever they can if you go there to get you in and out and are very reasonable on costs. None like the costs you are talking about have ever been stated by them.

They build them and they know how to fix them correctly. One of our friends was there last summer and they have a Itasca which needed some service. When all was said and done they told them it was completed and gave them an invoice. Owner mentioned he did not see that they serviced one item he wanted done. They stated that it was done but they found it was not installed correctly so they fixed it at their cost. This on a 2002 coach!

And if you go there and see a guy walking around talking to everyone but wonder whom he is due to his very country casual dress, He is the Owner of HWH. You cant go wrong.

Doug, thanks for the suggestion of HWH.  I actually went there earlier this year with my previous coach and they replaced my pump. They are only about 300 miles from me.  Anyway.... I did call them a few days ago and they said they will not work on my SMC jacks. Bummer because I really trust their work. 
Fred & Cindy

D. Wendal Attig

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2017, 03:23:20 AM »
Fred,

Please let us all know about the local rebuild option. I have 2  front jacks that will need rebuild or replacements soon. Thanks

D. Wendal