Author Topic: HWH computerized leveling  (Read 7659 times)

Michael Turnipseed

HWH computerized leveling
« on: December 13, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »
Hi all , read older posts but nothing seemed to fit other than tech support. Coach will not go back to travel mode or now level. I’ve pinpointed it to right rear. Bags load but will not dump display show low when inflated to 12” . I’m traveling with a motorcycle elevated but with the tag I figured I would be ok, could the 1200 pounds screwed up a sensor bouncing along California’s hiway system.
What are your thoughts on both
Thanks Michael

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: HWH computerized leveling
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 07:15:21 AM »
Most coaches have one ride height control up front, mid-coach, and one on each side in the back.  It could be your right rear one has a rubber sleeve rod connector that’s failed.  If so the connector can be ordered at a NAPA store, Haldex Linkage Repair Kit #RN10JC, but you shouldn’t be under your coach messing with an air valve if you don’t know what you’re doing, as the coach could fall down on you.  Block the rig up with stout wood, or get the linkage kit and have an RV knowledgeable mechanic install it.  If you get several spares at NAPA, and the mechanic finds the others underneath there are showing signs of age, he’ll have extras on hand to replace them before they too fail.

This link is for a Foretravel coach with 8” ride height, but keep in mind most Beavers seem to hang around 10”, and I don’t know precisely what your model’s is.
http://beamalarm.com/Documents/ride-height-adjustment.html

Joel
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:54:11 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 02:22:02 PM »
Will the bags dump using the "Dump button" on the HWH panel? Or is the problem just that you can't get into "Travel" mode?

I'm not an expert on this system and there seem to be a lot of variations, but i believe the ride height control valves are "ignored" when in HWH mode, and only function when your in Travel mode (which you don't seem to be getting into). If the air bag is not deflating I would also check the solenoid is operating properly for that bag.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:37:37 PM by Mike Shumack »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »
Michael,  I hesitate to get involved in these conversations because my mechanical experience can be inscribed on the head of a pin with extra space! But building on what Mike said above...there is also a travel solenoid in the "6 pack" manifold that has to activate for you to go into travel mode.  I had a similar problem last year.  The HWH leveling worked fine when camped.  When going into travel mode I had a very pronounced Port list (lean to the left.)  I limped in to Paris TX and found a Mobil RV guy. We figured out how the darn thing worked together while parked in his driveway for 3 days.  The solenoid was about $90.  On my coach the "6 pack" was way up on top of the rear axle.  Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.  Good luck.
Jerry

Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Michael Turnipseed

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 11:40:22 PM »
Hi all, thanks for the input. didn't have time today to get under the coach but did some further diagnostics.
1. tried auto level would not complete ,rear indicator light stayed on
2. took the control to manual tried lower rear operated correctly solenoid opened dumped the bags
3. tried raise rear no response bags did not inflate
4. tried raise right side bags inflated
system never leveled auto or manual
5. turned system off did not go to travel mode
6. used raise and dump controls appear to operate correctly
looking at the schematic that Mike provided it showed as Jerry described 3 solenoids each for right and left side 1 for the control valve one for each rear bag ( only looking at the rear front operating correctly) so if when using any button other than raise rear the solenoids open and close? and if I lost a control valve would /could that only effect the one prompt?
Sorry for breaking it down into detail but it helps me walk thru the process. Seems like it has to be a relay that lost signal for that command. I will call HWH tomorrow.
Appreciate the help and any further thoughts.
Michael 

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »
When you go into Travel Mode, the two "Travel" solenoids on the rear manifold connected to the "ride height" valve open which connects the Ride Height valve to the air bags. And the "Raise" and "Lower" solenoids must close to prevent air from getting to, and leaving the bags vai those solenoids.

So if that solenoid for the Travel mode on the RR side, was not opening you would not be able to dump the air via the Ride Height valve, but you would be able to dump and add air via the HWH system as it is using a different set of solenoids. If the Raise and Lower solenoids are funtionign corectly (and Close) but the travle solenoid does not Open, that could explain your situation.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Michael Turnipseed

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 07:12:17 PM »
Got it so the ultimate test is to see if I can manually drain air from the height control valve.
got a second person this morning and re did manual functions of the HWH and all performed even rear up. lot of back and forth up and down checking bags so I feel better. keep you informed.
Thanks

Michael Turnipseed

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 04:15:25 AM »
Hi there thanks to all of you that provided input,solutions and drawings. After days of crawling, reading and eliminating I got a green travel light. this is what it came down to on the 4th day I finally decided to get under the front not seeing anything in the back that jumped out at me. Here is just a little coach history, that I had the experience I would have explained in the first post.
 I have a HWH air and IDS hydraulic system when purchasing the coach the prior owner was up front that the Hydraulic system was disconnected, reason being that the puck on rear driver had fallen off the ram during travels and that with it being missing it would not hit the pin switch to send the all up signal.this was diagnosed at BCS the owner who had rung up quite a bill on that visit chose option B which was raise all the jacks and disconnect the electrical to the IDS pad rendering the system inoperable, as well as the warning system.
As I crawled under the front I saw the front passenger ram extended and resting on the perch same on the passenger side rears were extended but operating the bags had depressed them. At that point I reconnected the IDS pad and retracted the rams., again I had to disconnect the wiring to the pad since it signaled rams down. I spoke with Ken at BCS who did his best to help me find the missing link look for a reset turns out after a couple more hrs the reset was the ignition.
So why did the rams extend? Ken thought a leak but no evidence any where. do the solenoids require power to maintain close or to open and with no power would they bleed out.
glad we weren't hurt coming home 150mls or at a minimum lost a windshield. Ken says to remove the System what do you all think. until then guess ill keep an eye on those rams
Thanks again!!

Michael Turnipseed

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 04:17:11 AM »
Here are a couple pictures.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »
That's an interesting system. It looks like the IDS hydraulic leveling system just adjusts the coach's body height in relation to the axles. The hyd rams don't actually touch the ground to level like with my RVA leveling system.
Is this correct?

Glad you got it sorted out.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 01:21:31 PM »
That is correct Mike.  I have the same system.  They never touch the ground.
J
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Michael Turnipseed

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 03:37:25 PM »
Exactly they hit perches off the axel therory being you can still level even if the ground is way out of level. Unfortunately it has flaws. Ken at BCS said that the original engineer of the system at Beaver’s employment ended before completion so someone else finished the design of the IDS like I said his reccomendation was to remove the rams completely instead of buying the one to replace the rear since I can’t replace just the puck( without labor new hydraulic cylinder 1200). I think I could actually make the puck , some plate drilled to slip on the ram,1/2”piece of 3” pipe. The new pucks are welded so they aren’t lost. Just getting to it.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 03:50:55 PM »
Michael, someone on here removed their jacks and kept them.  They were willing to sell the actual jacks.   Do a search on here.  I was going to buy one for a spare but forgot all about it.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »
Michael, I have the jacks from my 2001 Contessa that I had removed when I had an air system installed at HWH a few years ago.

They are in my garage capped off and waiting for a new owner. I am getting stuff sorted out to go full time in June so they need a new home. I sold one rear jack, but still have the leaking left rear one and both good front ones.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Michael Turnipseed

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 07:48:14 PM »
Hi Lamonte, the driver rear is the one needed, and that is the one that leaks; I imagine it could be rebuilt. Do you miss that system or are you perfectly happy with the HWH? Never having it operational I don’t have an opinion of my own. I have friends that have only had trouble and don’t have the HWH system.