Author Topic: Air v Hydraulic Leveling  (Read 4357 times)

jeffprupis

Air v Hydraulic Leveling
« on: December 15, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »
All things equal (same coach) which is preferred - hydraulic or air leveling? Not loving my air system.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Air v Hydraulic Leveling
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »
Jeff,
IMHO Air. I had hydraulic on the 01 Contessa (jacks bottomed on axles), both air and jacks on the Marquis and air on the 07. The only advantage of a jack (to ground) system is that you can raise the coach in case of a flat tire, etc. Also it is much harder to rake the frame enough with an air system to cause a windshield to pop out. Air is fairly simple to operate and self adjusts as needed. Downside is that the air system is more prone to leaks than the Hydraulic system.
Steve
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 08:55:59 PM »
I have both.  Primarily use air.  Hydraulic is steadier than air.  The slight movement doesn't bother any of us so because of the higher maint. of the hydraulic system we hardly ever use.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »
I had electric jacks on the Pace Arrow and, like many with hydraulic ones, I had numerous aggravating and inconvenient problems.  The Beaver has only air leveling and any issues with it pale compared to jacks;  personally, I would not have them.  The only negative to air that some complain of is the slight movement they may notice while walking inside or during high winds, because you are sitting on air-filled rubber tires instead of solid chassis-to-ground steel tubing.  After 33 years, Lee and I hardly are aware of that motion, like sailors with sea legs I reckon.  A trade off, sea legs for trouble-prone, costly jack system, is not on our radar.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 02:03:37 AM »
Jeff,
My last two coaches (Marquis and Solitaire) have both air and hydraulic HWH leveling systems and I use air leveling 95% of time.

Gerald

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 04:23:04 PM »
We bought our Beaver specifically for the air leveling only. With replacement hips (both), it was just too painful to crawl under the HR to put the blocks down each time we parked. Taking them out, of course, was much easier, but not having to bend so much is a wonderful thing. We didn't have any trouble with the hydraulic jacks (knock wood), but the air leveling is sooooo much easier! We agree with Joel. The slight movement experienced without jacks is unnoticeable after awhile.

I don't know what kinds of issues you are having with the air leveling. One thing I found out, there is a re-set button inside the electrical bay, which re-sets the control panel next to the captains chair. Perhaps that would fix what it is. It's a red button I think.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:25:24 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »
We had IDS (smc) hydraulic leveling in our Contessa. But with leaking jacks, malfunctions, and other issues we had them removed and a new air system made to tie into our airbags for leveling.

It takes about 5 seconds now to level, and about three to get into travel mode. Had HWH do the mod about 4 years ago and it has never had an issue ever.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

jeffprupis

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »
Thanks all, I'm liking my air better already.