Author Topic: Basement Heat?  (Read 3151 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Basement Heat?
« on: December 18, 2017, 06:14:48 PM »
I was cleaning out the basement this morning and decided to look for the heating source and.... could not find one or a even a thermostat.  I am pretty sure the basement is heated because it feels warm underneath when I open it up on a cold day.  So... how is it heated??  The only thing I can figure are the exposed aqua hot lines going to the rear of the coach. But is that even enough?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Basement Heat?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 06:54:02 PM »
I entered "basement furnace" as the search argument and many threads were returned.  A different search argument would likely return some others.  If you would like to read them, assuming you have the time, then try doing a search.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »
Fred,
There is a (~40 degree) button thermostat mounted in and controlling an Aqua/Hydro Hot heat exchanger and fan in the compartment that contains the water pump. It provides heat as long as the AH/HH is on. The inverter, if on, can also provide some waste heat in the basement area, depnding where it is located.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:46:13 PM »
Fred,
There should be a removable panel on the passenger's side of your waste tank enclosure. If you remove it you will be able to see the Aqua Hot heat exchanger mounted above them as well as the button thermostat that is usually clipped on to one of the water lines. There is also a duct from this exchanger that delivers heated air to the main basement enclosure.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 11:08:33 PM »
Fred,
There should be a removable panel on the passenger's side of your waste tank enclosure. If you remove it you will be able to see the Aqua Hot heat exchanger mounted above them as well as the button thermostat that is usually clipped on to one of the water lines. There is also a duct from this exchanger that delivers heated air to the main basement enclosure.

Gerald

Removed this panel and found it... thanks!  However there is no thermostat anywhere to be found and also no duct work coming off the exchanger. The fan appears to be blowing directly on plywood that separates the waste tanks from the main basement area. The plywood has about 1 and a half inch gap at the top in it that will allow some heated air into the main basement area.  Does this sound right or did someone modified it?
Fred & Cindy

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 07:36:35 AM »
For perspective, Fred, on ours the water tank is right next to the HydoHot and keeps from freezing by the proximity.  The pump, ice maker filter, and main associated water lines and shut offs are enclosed in a plastic box high on the wall of the waste tank bay that adjoins the main storage bay, curbside.  Access to the pump is via removal of a carpeted panel from the storage bay side.  I note other similar access panels in there but have never sought what was behind them;  likely for getting to important chassis or utility components.

The heat exchanger is on the waste tank bay ceiling.  A thermosensor probe that may be the exchanger’s is bay-front center with other devices in a protective wood loop.  The bay exchanger has no ductwork, only hydronic tubing similar to the exchangers inside the coach, and uses an independent thermostat preset to come on at around 40 as long as the HydroHot is on.  The water utilities bay with the multicircuit water valve manifold is at the opposite end (street side of the waste tank bay), and is protected by the exchanger’s proximal heat.  Though, unlike yours, our exchanger points toward the bay door, there appears to be enough convective action, over the top between the rails perhaps, to warm the storage bay.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 01:49:24 PM »
Great explanation! Nice to know these coaches have quality built in to them.
Fred & Cindy