Author Topic: Cannot locate switch to use engine for heat  (Read 5974 times)

Ron Morgan

Cannot locate switch to use engine for heat
« on: January 04, 2011, 02:58:21 AM »
According to the user manual, there should be a switch just to the left of the kitchen sink to divert the engine coolant through the coach heating system when traveling. Our 98 Beaver Patriot does not have a switch in the described place and I have been unable to find the switch in any other location.  Has anyone else had this problem.  My objective is to have heat in the coach when we are going down the road.

Thanks,

Ron Morgan

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Cannot locate switch to use engine for heat
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:46:56 AM »
You probably already do have engine heat to your hydronic system, Ron, though I'm not familiar with your model year.  As such, I'm no expert, but I don't know of any such switch;  the engine heat is automatically exchanged as needed to the hydronic system (Hurricane or Aqua/HydroHot furnace & hot water).

Many confuse that idea with the option to flip a switch sometime before starting the engine to depart camp in cold weather, thus pre-heating the engine by circulating hydronic heat to it.  A preheated engine has to work less to start.  In that case, there is indeed such a switch, usually located with or near the other hydronic system on/off switches.  It should be labeled "Engine Preheat" or something similar.

I'm sure others here with 1998 Patriots will help zero you in on the Preheat switch location, but I don't think you have (or need) one to have the engine help heat the coach.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 06:22:18 AM »
First, has your Patriot had a Comfort Hot unit added to the factory Hurricane heating system. If it has you do not need to do any thing but just turn on the thermostat, because a relay was added to the Hurricane that turns on the circulation pump when a thermostat calls for heat. If not, you will need to locate the switch because without the circulation pump running you get no heat in the coach.

I do not know where the pump switch is located in a 1998 Patriot, but on my 2000 Marquis it is located on the driver's arm rest under the left front window. It can be labeled under several names, but it will probably be labeled "coach heat".

The only thing that the switch does is turn on the Hurricane circulation pump to circulate the Hurricane fluid through the engine coolant to Hurricane heat exchanger and through the heaters (liquid to air heat exchangers) in the coach to provide the heat that you want.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:18:52 PM by 235 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:39:54 AM »
Ron
Am I correct in assuming that you have the Hurricane system?
As you cansee we also have that system and a 1998 Pat.  For this reason I think I have your answere but with a caution.
The switch (as Gerald indicates) just turns on the circulation pump for when driving and heat is required via the Hurricane.  Sadly the switch on ours is mis marked.  
In ours, there are three rocker style switches under the counter edge in the kitchen.  One by the sink turns on the fan for the heaters.  The two switches together and further forward, one says water pump (fresh water) the other says water heater or similar.
The water heater switch is the one you are looking for but here is the caution.  Turn on the switch when driving but turn it right off before turning on the Hurricane because it powers the circulation pump and so does the Hurricane.  This will burn out the switch and can cause a fire.  Also the pump will continue to run when you shut off the engine and so drain the batteries.
We were told by ITR (Hurricane) folks that the switch could have been on the dash just as well but would likely be marked the same way.
FYI, ours didnt work when we found it and had to be replaced.
Good luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 04:16:02 AM »
On our 98 Patriot 37', the "preheat" switch is to the far left on the dash left of the steering wheel. As others have mentioned, DON'T FORGET TO SHUT IT OFF WHEN YOU STOP DRIVING FOR THE DAY since all it does is manually turn on the Hurricane water circulation pump. Turning the ignition key off does not shut this off automatically! (We have the early Hurricane)

Larry
Larry Fritz
The following users thanked this post: Marilyn Ruta

Ron Morgan

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:57:06 AM »
Larry, thanks for your response. I found it!

Ron