Author Topic: First scratch (more like gouge)  (Read 3831 times)

Mike Shumack

First scratch (more like gouge)
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
Last night, pulling into my driveway, I hit the gate post. I had a spotter but it was dark and ...

So I have this big "gouge" on the side now. What should I use to "fill in" the gouge? I not expecting a perfect finish - I just want to fill in the area and protect the structure of the fiberglass, then I'll use my touch up paint (by hand) to cover it as best I can.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
Re: First scratch (more like gouge)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 04:41:35 PM »
Mike:

I have had success filling damage like this on ski boat.  You can purchase a gel-coat product from a boat dealer or online, some kits come with color tints that can be mixed to come close to the color.

There is another product that I have had luck with; it's body-filler that is made for repairing the composite front and rear bumpers on cars.  It fills and sands quite nicely.

Apply masking tap on each side of the gouge and use a piece of this plastic to apply the chosen filler. Once the gouge is filled, sand the area using a flat wood block and 1200 or higher grit wet/dry paper.   Then remove the tape and sand to a flush condition.  In some cases you can actually bend a  thin plastic applicator (cutting one from plastic from bottle products works well) to create a slight ogee undercut, which will allow a slight indentation for paint and clear coat to build up, sand this flush and wheel out with a compound. 

I have had good success applying clear-coat with a small brush, sanding, and buffing with compound when repairing clear-coat delamination on my paint.

With a lot of patience you might be able to wet sand the red paint off without breaking through the clear coat.  I have also found on my Beaver that acetone and or lacquer thinner does not attack the clear coat, it may remove some of the red paint.  Of course, try a small area first.   

Randy

Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Pat Long

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 07:33:32 PM »
I would leave a Job like that to the Pros.   Call and get estimates with photos, I have done that with my coach, sent pics online and got estimates.  Maybe even mobile guys.  Your coach is an investment and should be treated as such.  imho

After the repair is done you will never know the damage was ever done.  Maybe even homeowners may even take care of it

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 12:00:22 AM »
I feel your pain.... I clipped my mail box post just last week pulling out of the driveway. The post is painted white and it put a long white streak down the passenger side. I was able to get about 80% of it off but the remainder is about 3 foot that is not coming off easy. It does not appear to be dented or gouged badly so I hope it buffs out ok. Hope you have good luck getting yours fixed.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:33:39 AM »
Thanks for your replies.
I've decided I'm going to leave this to the professionals.
I also want to have the nose repainted (actually the entire coach, but just doing the nose and this gouge will be enough for the next year or two) so I'll head up to Alliance and get an estimate.