Author Topic: Excessive Steering Play  (Read 2803 times)

Paulhowell

Excessive Steering Play
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »
Our Patriot Thunder has had excessive steering play in it since we’ve owned it. I thought it would be a simple adjustment on the steering box. I tightened it myself and was able to take some of the play out but not all of it. I had the coach in to Massey Diesel (Phoenix) for service and they attempted to adjust it twice but the play is still there. Tom said that it was as tight as they could get it. It has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch play in the linkage. The slack is in the steering box where the adjustment is made. You can see the linkage moving going into the steering box but no movement out until you move the steering wheel at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Should I pull the unit and attempt to have it rebuilt? The adjustment screw doesn’t feel right. When you loosen the lock nut, the adjuster tries to turn also. I wonder if the previous owner  had it adjusted and over tightened it. Thanks.
1999 Patriot Thunder425. Cat C12. Magnum Chassis.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:42:00 PM by Paul Howell »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Excessive Steering Play
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:32:48 PM »
Paul,
Sure sounds like the box needs work. Before I'd pull it though I'd check with a couple of shops to see if thay can do the work. Tom also might be able to give you a recommendation on shop(s).
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Pat Long

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
Paul,     I have had experience with this company through my old employer and they specialize in steering components.  They are Very Good in that field, and work on All makes and Applications.  I would call them and get their advice and any recommendations for dealers in your area if you can't get to them.

https://www.superpages.com/bp/fontana-ca/bab-steering-hydraulics-inc-L2060820124.htm

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 10:30:32 PM »
If you can get the coach to Grants Pass, Henderson’s Lineup is one of the most knowledgeable in the hemisphere about chassis and steering on our coaches.   https://www.hendersonslineup.com

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:30:02 AM »
Paul
Sounds like you know what you are looking at.  Just a FYI then, we had a Marquis with a similar problem.  Long story short it ended up that the lock collar on the arm attached to the steering box was loose.  Two shops didnt catch it because of the dirt but when you put your hand on the pitman arm and had the steering wheel moved it became obvious.
We were told that even an 1/8 turn in adjusting the steering box was alot and it was way loose still until the collar was tightened. 
We checked and lubed the spline on the steering box then reattached the collar and added a steer safe for good measure.
Good luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Paulhowell

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 06:02:04 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone!  I tried again in vain to adjust it. It’s time for a professional!

Doug Allman

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 02:35:32 PM »
We also had a Marquis 2004 that we found a nut was loose and to get it to tighten and reduce the play we had to add a shim (flat washer) as the nut was bottomed out on the threads so it would not tighten the shaft.