Author Topic: Cat C12 upgrade  (Read 5215 times)

Thomas Csibor

Cat C12 upgrade
« on: January 14, 2018, 09:13:31 PM »
I have read that Caterpillar can upgrade the software to increase the horsepower from 425 to 450 and modify for full torque in lower gears.

Has anyone had this done? Pros, cons?

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Cat C12 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 12:23:05 AM »
Thomas, yes Caterpillar can upgrade to higher horse power in 25 hp range. Last time service shop
Increased H.P cost ran about $ 3,500. Caterpillar has to summit to EPA change being made to
your engine to be in EPA compliant. This is one question asked regularly and personal thoughts,
change will come at a cost down the road. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Thomas Csibor

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:26:20 AM »
Thank you for the reply Dave. I gather from your comments that this is not a good way to go, but rather to keep the original status quo.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 06:11:06 AM »
Tom,
I had the engine in my 2000 Marquis reprogramed at the Caterpillar dealer in Texas. The engine in my coach was originally rated at 425 HP with 1450 foot pounds of torque. The reprograming increased the HP to 455 and the torque to 1550 which is the maximum rating for your engine. Caterpillar had the new engine program on line for the dealer to download, but there was a charge by Caterpillar for the download, and since my engine was out of warranty the charge was about $300. The total cost as I remember it was about $350, but that was about 8 or 9 years ago.

There are over the road programs for the C 12 that go up to 505 HP, but there are some expensive mechanical modifications that would be necessary for you engine to run that program. That is why your engine has a 455 HP max.

I liked the way that the coach drove better with the reprograming, but the change was not dramatic. The most notable was that the shift points dropped 2 to 3 MPH in normal driving. There were no adverse effects to the reprograming and I drove the coach well over 100,000 miles after the change. Was it worth the money, probably not, but I would do it again. Talk to you local Cat dealer about the current cost to help in your decision making process.

Gerald

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 02:09:35 AM »
Give Performance Diesel in Saint George, Utah a call, they will reprogram a ECM for you. They do a lot of Cat work on C-15, C-13 not sure if they do C-12's.

Pat Long

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:46:55 PM »
I don't understand why you would contemplate doing this to your engine.  More fuel is $, and heat to the engine, heat is damaging to the engine not to mention all other components on the engine ( electronics ).   My C12 runs great and I am Happy With the Performance I have Now.  I  Am On Vacation, when I get the is when I get there.   I am in NO way saying anything against your decisions.   I just know after 40 years of pushing rigs down the road, some loads 130000 lbs, I like my rig to run as cool as it can, and last as long as it can.  Thats how I made my money

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:50:56 PM »
Tom,
The reprograming that I was referring to is a Cat program that will work flawlessly with your engine without creating any issues with overheating or sensor failures. Shops like Performance Diesel probably do not have access to Caterpillar programing, so they will use things like overdriving the sensors to get more power, and that type of performance enhancements are the things that will bite you where you sit later on. Therefore, I would only use a Caterpillar program to increase the HP on your engine.

Other things that performance shops use to increase performance is low restriction exhaust and intakes. If you want to install a low restriction exhaust, the only problem that will be created is the one where your wife slaps because of the excess noise every time you turn on the Jake Brake. However, low restriction air filters are not a good idea because they do not filter the air as well and cause excess engine wear.

Gerald

The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 12:49:55 AM »
I have read that Caterpillar can upgrade the software to increase the horsepower from 425 to 450 and modify for full torque in lower gears.

Has anyone had this done? Pros, cons?

Was chatting with Brad at PDI and he stated that they can give your C12 80 hp to the ground with a ECM reprogram, he says they do a lot of motor homes as well as class 8 trucks. He wanted your phone number so he could give you a call and let you know what they can do. Give him a call here's his direct line 435-627-5631 can't do any harm.

Kevin Patchen

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 12:09:26 AM »
Bullybog proformance make a plug and play unit. If you punch in to your such engine bullybog for semi trucks that should take you there.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 02:44:45 PM »
Kevin, Gerald is correct if you want to increase engine H.P. Have it done with Caterpillar, aftermarket
add-on equipment is not recommended by Caterpillar or Cummins. Going Deeper as Gerald stated
Electronic engines and engine ECM, you cannot over drive voltage on any sensors or regulators. In
Caterpillar troubleshooting of electtrical components the different values will in most cases shut
down engine power performance. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic