Author Topic: Dual Pane Window Problems  (Read 3637 times)

Pat Long

Dual Pane Window Problems
« on: January 15, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
I have dual pane windows in my Marquis and have the usual snaking of the window seal separator.   I plan on attending the Quartzite gathering and was wondering which vendor has the best finish results for this repair.  I know some of you have dealt with the same thing and have more experience with vendors and would be interested in hearing what your outcome was.

Thank You

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Dual Pane Window Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
Pat,
I had RV Glass Solutions repair 5 windows in our 2000 Marquis; dvr side sofa and kitchen and pass side verticals (2) and dinette window. Cost was about $1800. They did it at their shop in west Phoenix. Good job.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 04:48:17 AM »
We also had RV Glass Solutions repair fogged windows and was happy with the results.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
Pat
We used the "Glass Boss" at a rally in Or. a couple years ago.  They are out of Phoenix.  They did good work at way less cost.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 05:29:27 PM »
BJ reminded me that I left out part of the story. 

The driver's side window was repaired and, two years later, it fogged again.  Two theories.... Our Beaver had a flaw where the window frame was crooked that put that window "in a bind" that caused repeated failure.  The other is that double pane windows can't survive the combined effect of altitude and temperature change.   

RV Glass Solutions offered to fix the failed window at no charge.  They offered us a choice.  We could have a custom cut single pane of safety glass or a third try with dual pane.   It was explained that they wanted to experiment with having an option for people that wanted a permanent repair.  We opted for the single pane. 

When we sold the Monterey there were a lot of fogged windows and it effected the price.  Had we kept it and repaired the windows, I'm pretty sure I would try to get single pane.   One of the "features" or our new (and very small) motorhome is that it has single pane glass that will never fog.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 07:05:43 AM »
We met a fella at the KOA Tucson rally last spring.  Had an interesting conversation with him about the new single pane windows he was installing that supposedly insulated better than our double pane and as Bill mentions above wont fog. 
They looked great but were expensive.
Glass Boss was sjowing us the bead they were using on repaired double pane .  They eliminated the metal in the spacer bead because they said that is the weak spot.  The meatal heats up differently than the glass and so loses the seal over time.  Then comes the fog and then seal creep.  All the windows they did for us were still good when we sold it.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!