Author Topic: Kenwood Nav  (Read 4534 times)

Bob Bulot

Kenwood Nav
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:49:15 PM »
OK, stumped again.  Looking at my manuals, my Nav DVD player (KNA-DV4100 for you nomenclature buffs) is located in the cabinet above the driver's side window, and connects to the 8" monitor in the dash through a "Video Box Unit". I can't find this box unit anywhere.

I can trace the dedicated cable from the monitor over to the extreme left side of the dashboard, but no further.  I've checked the kick panel to the left of the  driver's seat, I've checked everywhere under the dash.  I've even checked the firewall in the gen compartment. Nada.

Anyone know where it is?

What I'm trying to do is move the Aladdin display from the Kenwood receiver, which is on the extreme left side of the dash, to the 8" display in the center of the dash.  Another poorly thought out design by the folks at Beaver back in the day.  The receiver's display, just inside the driver's side window, is frequently unreadable due to being washed out by the sun coming through the window.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Kenwood Nav
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:28:31 AM »
Quite a few cables run down the windshield post.  Cable might be there.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:50:42 AM »
I doubt the “box” would be in the windshield strut... just cables.  Sometimes in the Forum members speak of their Aladdin reset or other devices being behind some sort of panel in that overhead cabinet, Bob.  Did you check that there isn’t a screwed-in cover panel hiding your missing box up there?   

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:54:04 AM »
My 2003 is different than yours but my Aladdin unit can be found in the false end of the cabinet above the driver's chair.  Removed two screws and the end block came out exposing the unit.

Bob Bulot

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:05:04 AM »
I did.  I removed the panel at the forward end of the cabinet above the driver's side window. The cable that connects the Nav to the elusive box goes in to that space, but although there's lots of cables/wires, there's no box.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 06:15:34 PM »
On my 2005 the "box" is right on the firewall at drivers left foot/knee area. I guess Beaver put them all over the place.

Bob Bulot

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 08:16:42 PM »
Thanks Mike.  I was hoping, but alas, no.  Since I last posted, I found that the dedicated cord that goes from the monitor to the box goes in to a large hole, with a lot of other wires, in the firewall in the extreme upper left side above the driver's left foot. I also found that there is a Sirius receiver involved also, and I cant find that either.  I'm losing ground here!

Bob Bulot

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 05:08:31 AM »
The "box" that I so poorly described above (and I still cant find) is actually called the Receiver and is one of two separate components that make up the Kenwood KNA DV-4100 Radio.  The antenna lead, speaker wires, dedicated nav, Sirius cables and Sirius Antenna all plug in to this receiver, which is in turn connected to the KNA DV-4100 with another dedicated cable. Anyone know where this receiver is by this description?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:13:11 AM by Bob Bulot »

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »
The Kenwood Receiver unit does not have any "inputs" all the RCA jacks are preamp outputs. I'm not sure why you want to locate the Receiver although just knowing where it is, is a good enough  reason). For your goal of moving the Aladdin to a new monitor, you just need to have access to the back of  Kenwood monitor unit. The Aladdin unit sends its video to the "Monitor" unit. There are two sets of RCA video "In" jacks at the back of the Monitor. You can just move the Aladdin "RCA input" to the kenwood monitor to your new display.

The Receiver unit is located on the firewall to the left of steering column on my coach. But as I mentioned there are no inputs to this unit only (speaker) outputs.
The picture of the Receiver is rotated. The Kenwood name is actually horizontal. That silver box above it is the CB connection.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:25:47 PM by Mike Shumack »

Bob Bulot

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »
Thanks Mike.  You’re right, of course.  The Kenwood gets its Aladdin signal at the AV input on the radio head, not the receiver.  I figured that out eventually.  I’m still looking for the receiver module because I am now thinking of replacing the whole deal with a new Kenwood Radio that has a brighter hi-def screen and has everything in the one unit, and that also has Blue tooth, hands free phone, etc. I need the speaker wires, antenna lead, etc from the receiver module. I’ll look again on the firewall, as you suggest. 

Bob Bulot

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 10:23:14 PM »
Spent half a day looking everywhere I could think of, even under the coach for this receiver unit and the Sirius module. 

I attempted to follow the cable that connects the radio to the receiver.  It leaves the radio and enters a 5” round opening with many other wires, high on the firewall above the driver’s left foot.  I can’t figure out where these wires, including the cable, go.

Anyone know where this hole in the firewall leads?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 01:36:25 AM »
We have two black boxes, one of which is labeled Sirius, behind the wall where the entry handrail is located... immediately in front of the co-pilot's seat.  I do not remember how the other black box is labeled.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 03:13:50 PM »
Hi Bob,
 On the last 06 Marquis I worked on, the modules you are looking for are behind the forward access panel in the cabinet above the drivers window. They are laying flat and all the wiring are tangled upon them and hiding them. Good Luck!
   Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mike Shumack

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 09:14:15 PM »
I know you are not looking for the Aladdin VCM, but it is located above the driver seat behind a wood panel on the '05 Patriot. There is a lot more room toward the front of that cavity - maybe your Kenwood stuff is in there as Fred suggested. If it is, it's not going to be easy to get to - its a deep space.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:15:47 PM by Mike Shumack »

Bob Bulot

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 03:13:38 PM »
Fred and Mike nailed it!  Above the row of cabinets that runs above the windshield is a couple of rows of molding. The molding is held in place by velcro and panel hooks.  The elusive receiver, and Sirius radio and a lot of wires  are in the space behind the molding. 

Thanks to all for helping with this.  It’s clear that Monaco moved these components all over the place over the years.