Author Topic: Door noise help  (Read 2909 times)

Tom Barnard

Door noise help
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:59:15 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have obtained a wealth of knowledge from this site already.
I have a 2005 Monterey that we purchased about a year ago. Recently we have been getting a lot of wind noise at the entry door.
I have adjusted the catch pins both top and bottom and the door shuts tight. I'm thinking it might be the inflating seal not working properly.
Does anyone have experience adjusting or checking this? Where do I look?
Thanks

Mike Shumack

Re: Door noise help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 06:11:17 PM »
I don't know if our coaches have the same seal setup - but until someone else provides better info - maybe this will help (from my Owners manual): You can look in the location specified and see if you have a regulator there. If so, you can check for air pressure, or try to make an adjustment. Note That he seal only inflates with transmission in gear.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 12:54:36 AM »
Hmmm... wondering I I have one of these on my 2002 Patriot.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 02:46:12 AM »
Fred,
No, your 2002 Thunder does not have an inflatable front door seal.

Gerald

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 03:28:59 AM »
Fred,
No, your 2002 Thunder does not have an inflatable front door seal.

Gerald

Thanks, and I hope this solves Tom’s problem.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 03:59:12 PM »
Tom,
We have an '05 Monterey also and had this same problem when we bought it. The noise was so bad I almost considered selling it! I used flex seal, duct tape, electrical tape and every other method to try and fix the leak. We then replaced the scissor arm on the door and it stopped the noise!! We still get some air noise but it's quiet now compared to what it was. The scissor arm on our door was loose and needed replacement anyway so the fact it sopped the noise or reduced it was a bonus. Beaver Coach Sales & Service said that it would be  a matter of trying to trace the problem at their $hop rate :).

Hope this helps!

Dean

Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
1993 Bounder (1st coach!)
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
Past Region 1 Vice President

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 12:19:35 AM »
Tom, you should check the integrity and operation of the valve Mike illustrated, but also examine the bladder for damage.  When the engine is on and the coach in gear, opening or closing the door against an inflated bladder can tear it... yes it can happen, like when the rig was new my copilot thought the door wasn’t totally shut, and opened and closed it while we pulled away from a parking spot and I had my foot on the brake pedal.  Oops.  We were lucky the bladder was okay, but that was before I understood how it worked, and that you shouldn’t do stuff like that. 

The bladder should deflate when you’re out of gear.  Can’t recall whether the parking brake needs to be on (due to illness we haven’t driven it for over a year), but I’m never in neutral without the air/parking brake on anyway.  But if not, you could test bladder operation by opening the door and putting it in gear, but leave the parking brake on.  Take the rig in and out of gear to see if the bag Inflates and deflates as designed.  Someone else here I’m sure can confirm or debunk that notion.

The other thing oft overlooked is the window drain covers, Atwood I think on yours.  Hard to imagine but without those covering the weep holes, wind noise increases more than you’d think.  Ordering several left and several right ones helped ours, and provided spares should any fall out again.  Windows toward the back of the coach were no big deal, but replacing missing ones in the driver’s and front passenger windows did reduce wind noise - it wasn’t total, but the improvement was noticeable.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:24:21 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Barnard

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 02:17:28 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I will start with this list.
The funny thing is I don't remember having the wind noise when we first got the coach so it is something that has happened since we've had it.
My wife once tried to open the door when I still had the coach in gear and the door wouldn't open. As soon as I put in neutral it opened right away. I'm not sure if that is because of the pressure of the inflated seal or because maybe it just mechanically locks when in gear.
Our scissor hinge is tweeked from the door slamming open from wind, that maybe the problem and it is on my list to replace anyway.
Thanks everyone.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »
Our experience with repairing the scissor hinge:  http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,6385.msg47037.html#msg47037

Earlier this past Fall, the door was closing hard so I sprayed the scissor hinge pivot points and slide points with some lube, Corrosion X.  The door has been working well since.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:27:38 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!