Author Topic: Looking for Slide topper fabrics  (Read 4394 times)

Bruce Sieloff

Looking for Slide topper fabrics
« on: January 18, 2018, 08:11:36 PM »
We are going to replace our slide toppers, and we are looking at a company called Stone Vos who supplies a fabric topper called CoachGuard that looks very close to the original Beaver topping. This will be a DIY job, swatch samples are on the way. We don't want vinyl, I know it is more waterproof than fabric, I don't want to deal with delam issues. Have any members had any experience with these folks and if so how are your toppers holding up? ???

Bill Sprague

Re: Looking for Slide topper fabrics
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 11:08:36 PM »
Another brand is "Sunbrella". 

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 11:57:02 PM »
Bill, I am pretty sure that Sunbrella is sister company to Girrard.

There are qiite a few threads here about seams seperating on even newer awnings due to thread that isnt UV resistant.  I would look real hard at any unknown company.
Please update this thread as we are right behind you with the toppers.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 01:31:54 AM »
I came across this supplier, they have several types of Sunbrella like fabrics.

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textiles/Marine_and_Boat_Cover/Coastguard_(Comparable_to_Sunbrella)/index.html

Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Greg Ross

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 01:32:35 AM »
Bruce,
I ordered and installed a new topper from "TOUGH TOP" and I have been very happy with the price, the quality of the material and the YOU TUBE video for installation.
I recommend them.

Greg
2008 Contessa
C9 425HP

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 01:33:44 AM »
We had Stone Vos toppers installed last September. We have found our new toppers are quite a bit noisier when it is windy than our original toppers.We are trying to hook up with Chris down in Florida to see if they have been installed properly.

William Jordan

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 02:47:15 AM »
We had ston Vos toppers used last summer,  to replace our old ones on the 03 marquis. the seams were separating and coming loose on the original.  We used the acrylic fabric I believe you are looking at. 
 Elite in Harrisburg Oregon did the ordering and install work but it seemed very simple to do.  The fabric was a very close color match ( brown ) and while the old ones had seams the new stone Vos are not seamed. The remaining stitching is supposedly top of the line UV resistant.
They are a little thicker material it appears to me and as installed are very taunt with no or little flapping in the wind. We haven’t noticed any noise in the rain but they are pretty taunt as I noted. 
They are more expensive than any other topper fabric  we looked at but the quality also is better in our opinion.
Measurements are critical evidently as elite made an error and had to have one remade.
Top notch product and we would  use them to replace the Girrard patio  and window awnings when the time comes.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:30:51 AM by William Jordan »

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »
We just installed toppers from Stone Vos and they seem to be a little heavier than the original and made very well.  Haven't been in the wind to evaluate noise yet. 
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »
Bruce we had Tough Top's installed and are very satisfied with their wind resistance and durability. They are no seems and are double stitch along the coach edge. Also no sagging of the fabric. We had 4 awning's replaced at their location for $800.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 10:29:19 PM »
Bruce we had Tough Top's installed and are very satisfied with their wind resistance and durability. They are no seems and are double stitch along the coach edge. Also no sagging of the fabric. We had 4 awning's replaced at their location for $800.
Where is "tough Tops located Bryan?"
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Bart Mix

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 05:55:37 PM »
Chris Thomartin - VP w/Stone Vos, www.stonevos.com, (352) 942-2653,  is a top notch dealer (FL) & individual! He is well known in the RV industry & participates on several RV forums offering expert RV advice, solutions & related experiences. We had toppers made by him for our Beaver & were very satisfied & would definitely install toppers on our present HR coach when it is necessary. He also tracks down hard to find awning parts & has products for permanent slider floor exterior repairs. While he doesn't do topper installs, he can help coordinate information for good reliable installers & makes sure you get every inch your topper will handle as most OEM toppers are too narrow & don't give you full coverage. He also makes his replacement toppers with the best UV protected thread available anywhere & his toppers are made to be 180 degrees reversible when & if you feel the need to switch them around due to normal exposure wear & tear?
Bart from VA

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 04:45:49 PM »
LaMonte, Tough Tops are located in Vancouver, Washington
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »
Thank you to everyone who responded.  Ingrid at StoneVos was really responsive.  We just received swatches for all of the awning/topper fabrics they offer, including their exclusive vinyl product. These samples confirm our initial decision to go with an acrylic fabric. Their top of the line CoachGuard acrylic fabric is elegant and attractive, very well made and looks very similar to our original toppers and awnings. It also carries a 10 year warranty on the fabric, thread and workmanship.  We are double checking width measurements today and will place our order.  About two weeks from now, we hope to be doing our DIY installation of the new toppers.  Our awnings are still good, but when the time comes we will replace them with CoachGuard as well.

Bart Mix

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 04:08:51 AM »
Bruce - having used the same company & material, I don't think you could find anything better! I know I didn't & will both recommend & use them on my new coach when it comes time!
Bart from VA

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 05:43:13 AM »
Thank you.  It is good to hear from a previous satisfied customer.