Author Topic: Hydraulic leveling  (Read 5770 times)

Luke Kucaric

Hydraulic leveling
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »
Hello!  I’m a newb. I own 2003 Monterey with 3 leveling jacks. I’m must be low on oil,because a buzzer keep buzzing antil key of. Can anyone halp me haw to do that. Than you

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hydraulic leveling
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 06:34:10 PM »
Luke,
Have you tried raising the jacks?  A jack that is not fully retracted will cause the alarm. If low on fluid, I think the hydraulic tank is under the front steps on your coach. Hopefully a Monterey owner can confirm.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 07:42:15 PM »
My tank is inside the rear basement door on passenger side.  I lower front jack until it just starts to buzz and then fill the tank until it stop buzzing.  Then raise the front jack.  When the tank is low, it will buzz when making a turn or going over a bump.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
We have a much different model coach and one year newer.  On our coach the leveling's hydraulic-fluid tank is located just left of the steps under the front door.  My experience has shown that when either a leveling ram is not retracted fully or the hydraulic fluid is low, then there will be an audible alarm.  One time when we had a slow leak in a hydraulic hose and the fluid tank became low, there was an intermittent alarm on bumps and dips while traveling.  That was several years ago.  Since the hose was replaced and the fluid tank filled, we have not had the alarm... except as it should alarm when using the hydraulic leveling.  We rarely use the hydraulic leveling anymore.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:18:01 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 03:13:15 AM »
I have been following this conversation and have the same problem.  I have found the oil tank now I can not find the oil that is listed in the owners manual[Texaco Rando HD 46].  Can any other product be used.  Have been told ATF can be used not sure, want to use the correct oil.  Still my learning curve.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Rocky Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
45 ft
525 C-13 CAT
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 04:09:51 AM »
Rocky,
It sounds like you are misreading the manual. I think that the hydraulic system on your coach that runs the radiator fan and power steering uses HD 46 oil, but if I am not mistaken your hydraulic leveling system uses Dexron III. Also, most of the Thunders in your era had two electric hydraulic pumps located in the front of the coach, one ran the HWH slides and the other one runs the Power Gear leveling system. If yours is so equipped, be sure you are adding fluid the right pump. Also, you can find HD 46 oil at most HD equipment or farm supply stores (Tractor Supply is the most common) if you need it.

Gerald     

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 05:20:30 AM »
Thanks Gerald for the info, ut I doubled checked and even refered to the lub chart in the back of the manuel and it refers to Texaco  Rando HD-46.  I have also found  the HFH res, for the slides. Thanks for that.  Can I mix types of 46 hyd. oil?
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 01:26:46 PM »
The Leveling System hydraulic tank is the one shown below. I believe you know that.

The oil "Texaco Rando HD46" can be mixed with other brand oils of the same type/specifications. It is the same oil that goes in the Hydraulic reservoir tank located in the engine compartment. Here is a cross reference chart (see fourth line of chart).

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 03:36:53 PM »
Thank You to Mike and Gerald for the information.  I am still learning on this coach.
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Jeff Watt

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 04:28:40 PM »
My coach has this unit plus the Valid air leveling system. The two are inter-connected as I found out. With a low level in the hydraulic reservoir, then the system, I believe,  “thinks” the jacks are down so it won’t let it go into travel mode. Additionally when low level, it won’t let the system do a auto air levelling.

How do I know this, well the tank has a leak. I’ve looked extensively, wiping it all down and the leak is not on the pump/manifold nor the lines coming off the pump. It seems to be where the pump assembly attaches (welded?) to the reservoir. So on my trip down to Texas I had to add a bit of hydraulic fluid - 46 - to it in order for the Valid controller to operate properly.

I’ll likely deal with it when I return home and live with the slow leak for now. But when I need to remove for repair are the lines under pressure? I’m thinking yes and/or the jacks may move. Side note: in the 6+ years I’ve owned the coach I’ve never used the jacks so I don’t know what will happen.

Maybe should do a side trip to HWH on my way home.

Jeff