Author Topic: HWH Hyd Jack removal  (Read 2223 times)

Thomas James

HWH Hyd Jack removal
« on: January 21, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »
Hey there guys and gals. I'm about to get my old HWH system totally replaced with a Quadra Mfg Bigfoot leveling system. Got a pretty good deal on it too.....IF I remove the old system. So, the question is, other than not alot of room to work under there and prob getting dirty from head to toe, is there anything I should be aware of After draining all fluid and disconnecting all electrical besides just nut and bolt and grunt stuff? I'm prob going to just leave the hyd lines where they are. Maybe just cap them. Esp the rear ones. The front I may be able to just take out, but IDK. And I'm not sure about that pump and resevoir. I know where it is....behind that front access panel, but it might be a pain to get to. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: HWH Hyd Jack removal
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »
I dont know what system you have on your coach. I had my IDS SMC hydraulic jacks removed a few years ago and had an air system put in.

The front were just large bolts and nuts and two lines that were capped off.

The rear ones the dual tires had to be removed to get these off and capped. My front slide uses the reservoir to open and close the slide, but thats all the reservoir does now. But you may have a different system I am sure.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Thomas James

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 11:45:48 PM »
Lamonte, I have an HWH 4 jack system. I can get to my jacks under the coach. I really haven't looked that close tho. Hopefully it's just some bolts, and a hydraulic line...and maybe a control wire or something. Thanks for responding.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:42:22 AM »
Thomas,
HWH makes one of the best leveling systems on the market, and they still service almost everything that they built. I do not know what your problem is with the HWH system, but have you considered fixing it instead of replacing the whole thing?

Gerald

Thomas James

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »
Yes I have Gerald. And I was quoted a price of anywhere from $2000 to 3500 to repair it. the system really IS messed up. AND I'm not too crazy about having to lean over my seat and work those actuator valves. I want a system that I just push a button and it happens. If I'm gonna spend that much to repair a 20+ year old system, then I'd much rather spend a little more and get what I want. Besides, I never did understand all this kick down stuff and springs and stuff. I was like...why can't they just go up and down and be done with it?? Besides, I really like this quad system. At least from what I've seen, anyway.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 10:29:22 PM »
Thomas,

I think you are making the right choice to replace you HWH jacks with the Big Foot design.  The removal of the jacks will much easier if you take the tires off first.  I assume you do not have any slides, if that is correct, then you can remove the pump, manifold and reservoir from your coach as well as the jacks.  The hoses should be either removed or sealed with a cap.  The hoses should not be hard to remove unless they are tie wrapped along the inside of the frame rail.

Good luck,
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida