Author Topic: Need help with water purge  (Read 2563 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Need help with water purge
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:29:07 PM »
Scratching my head on finding the water purge valves for my air tanks.  On my other coach they were located on the air tanks.  Drained both tanks on my old coach every couple weeks and lots of water would pour out.  So where is it on this Beaver.... don't see them on the tanks.  I looked in the rear where there is an air hose connection and I see four air outlets with a valve on each.  Just to the above left on the same panel is a push button that says H2O purge.  I open all four valves and air comes gushing out with zero water.  I push the H2O purge button and nothing happens... the light does not come on either. I am thinking that the H2O Purge button may be broke.  There is another push button to the left that says Fuel/Water Separator and that one works.  Does my system automatically drain water from the system and if not.... how do I get it done?  Thanks!
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Need help with water purge
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 07:43:30 PM »
I believe Beavers have an air dryer built into the air system.  Yours must be functioning pretty good.  But the air dryers do need periodic maintenance.

Our coach also has a button near the fuel-water separator.  When I push that button, nothing happens either.  I am not sure what that means - perhaps it's in need of maintenance.

I will be interested in seeing what our experts say.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:45:18 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 08:57:30 PM »
Fred,

The valves (near the air supply connection) you noted in the beginning of your post are the air tank water drains.  There should be four (4) of them and along with the auto-air/dryer that was mentioned should allow you to keep moisture out of your air tanks.  Normally, you should only need to drain them manually every month or so.  I never had much water come out of mine in 12 years.  However, my Monterey with only manual valves needed, them drain at least once a week.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »
Fred,
The four valves that you mentioned are the air tank drains, and like David said, your coach is equipped with an air dryer that removes the water from the compressed air just after the compressor and vents it every time that the compressor cycles. So if you start getting water out of the tank drains, you need to service your air drier. Most entry level diesel pushers do not come equipped with an air dryer, so as water collects in the tanks and air lines, sever maintenance issues can arise, especially in very cold weather.

The H2O purge button that you are referring to is part of the Racor primary fuel filter/water separator priming system. It is designed to dump water from the bowl on the bottom of your primary fuel filter if any collects there, assuming that the water sensor is functioning and has not been disconnected. If there is no water detected, it will not purge.

Gerald   

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 09:37:31 PM »
Thanks to all... great to know my air system is functioning as it should.  But.... I don't believe the H2O valve is functioning as it does nothing when pushed and the LED light does not come on either. However, the Fuel/Water Separator LED light does comes on and it does function. Is this something I should get fixed?
Fred & Cindy

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 10:20:21 PM »
Fred,

The button you are refering is the water purge for the fuel/water seperator filter.  It has nothing to do with the air system.  The water purge button only activates when the light on the dash comes on and tells you that water is detected in the fuel/water filter.  Then by depressing the water purge button, the bowl on the botton of the fuel/water seperator dumps any water that has collected in that bowl.  In my Patriot, this light never appeared on the dash and no detectable water was ever noticed in the bowl after 12 years and 98,000 miles.  It is important to note that most of these original fuel/water seperator filters have been replaced with manual water drain type of filters.  Therefore, the button would not operate as orginally designed by the OEM.  If you attach a picture of your fuel/water seperator filter, we can tell you if you have the original or an aftermarket type.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 12:15:38 AM »
Fred,

The button you are refering is the water purge for the fuel/water seperator filter.  It has nothing to do with the air system.  The water purge button only activates when the light on the dash comes on and tells you that water is detected in the fuel/water filter.  Then by depressing the water purge button, the bowl on the botton of the fuel/water seperator dumps any water that has collected in that bowl.  In my Patriot, this light never appeared on the dash and no detectable water was ever noticed in the bowl after 12 years and 98,000 miles.  It is important to note that most of these original fuel/water seperator filters have been replaced with manual water drain type of filters.  Therefore, the button would not operate as orginally designed by the OEM.  If you attach a picture of your fuel/water seperator filter, we can tell you if you have the original or an aftermarket type.

Thanks Karl.  I am taking the beaver to St. Louis tomorrow to have the front leveling jacks rebuilt. I will take a picture and try to post it.
Fred & Cindy