Author Topic: Bedroom slide issues  (Read 3827 times)

Christopher Clark

Bedroom slide issues
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:09:07 AM »
2002 Monterey Seaclif, bedroom slide according to manual runs off chassis battery. The motor is located under bed with 2 cut off switches. I have attempted to search and read prior posts ref this issue. Rocker switch, IN-OUT located on bedroom wall. When operating switch hear/feel motor under bed click, sometimes hum if holding down switch. Checked power at each cut off switch, present when IN-OUT switch is pushed/activated. Checked ground for cut off switches, it's good. 2 wires go to motor 10ga, 1black, 1blue. Both of these wires have a fine wire(maybe16ga) accompanying them from the motor. I have had issues with the slide in the past. To overcome it I have maximized voltage by plugging into shore power or starting generator. Sometimes several switch activations(pushing multiple times) has worked? One other curious observation, overhead bedroom light dims when activating slide switch. I have cut and replaced connectors involved with the cut off switches and ground wires. It has made no difference.
Looking for help!!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Bedroom slide issues
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 01:36:20 AM »
Can the brake be removed without disabling the slide system?  Perhaps the brake is stuck on.  On our coach, the brake is attached to the end of the motor (looks like a hockey puck) and is easily removed/replaced.  My thought is the brake is holding the motor from moving the slide which would also likely cause a dimming of the lights.

When we had a slide issue a few years ago in Houston, we found some wires had been caught in the bed mechanism and were pulled loose... but didn't appear loose until they were pulled on.  Our friends' son, a mechanic with United-Continental diagnosed the problem and had it fixed in 15 minutes.  He checked the voltages at the panel and IN/OUT switch which were okay.  We raised the bed and he lightly tugged on all the wires.  Presto... one set of wires was loose.  He reattached the wires and tied the wires at several points so that the slide mechanism could not catch them.  Our system was dead - no humming and no clicking.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:49:11 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Christopher Clark

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:54:32 AM »
Dave, thanks for your response! I read your earlier post and found it very helpful, unfortunately I didn't have a lose wire/connector. The brake you mention, can you explain how to take it off? The slide is in, so its a difficult reach but doable. I can see the hockey puck.
Thanks, Chris

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 02:23:22 AM »
Chris,
Sounds like the motor brake isn't releasing. It needs =>12V to activate. I had similar problem on my 01 Contessa. Sometimes it would not work at all, other times it would work after I pushed switch multiple times. Lights dimming shows you are getting voltage to circuit, just not enough to activate it. Culprit in my case was the connector that attaches the switched to the wires going to the slide circuit. I found I could get slide to work by wiggling the connector. I ended up replacing the connector with wire nuts. Problem solved. I've attached a wiring diagram FYI. Wire colors may not be dead on. Also be sure the circuit grounds are good.
Motor brake is on end of motor and can be removed. However be sure to brace the slide on both sided to ensure it doesn't work its way out when driving.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 02:24:32 AM »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 02:30:41 AM »
Raise the bed.  Ours has two fasteners that need to be released in order for the bed to be raised.  Our fasteners are accessed by raising the foot-end of the mattress.  Our bed is very heavy and we have a prop-up board specifically for it.  Some Beaver owners have placed air-springs under their beds to be able to raise them more easily.  With the end of the bed raised to about a 45 degree angle, all of the slide mechanism is pretty easily seen and reached.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:36:22 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerald Cate

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 04:46:28 AM »
Chris,
I think several people on this forum have had issues with the bedroom slide including me.  The link Gerald posted I believe will solve your problem and mine, thanks to Ed Buker for posting this fix. I believe the model number is B130 OBJY2 and the part number is 320240100FC2.  I can find these brakes on Ebay and Amazon for $60 - $70 but it doesn't have the correct (custom) adapter to the motor.   I was going to just change out the brake until I found out BCS wants about $260 for this part, I'll reserve my opinion on that price.  I guess it's a sellers market because so far I've not had any luck trying to locate another source for the exact part number.  I'll add some pictures I've taken on my brake, yours may not be the same but it's probably similar.  Also included is a spec sheet that breaks down the part number on page 2. 

Christopher Clark

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:10:03 PM »
Thanks everyone!! I'm going to go back at the slide issue again today. I will look into the brake and switch connections, and also look for the evasive relay. The one question I still have is why does the overhead light dim? All I've read in the manual states the slide is on the chassis batteries and the lights are on the house/coach batteries. Could I have another issue??
I will let you know how I make out.
Thanks,

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »
Chris, about every 4 months of daily travel my coach develops the same symptoms you mention.  The brake seizes up and the slide won't move.  I just remove the 2 (or3) screws on the end of the brake,  The brake comes right off.  I spray electronic cleaner into the brake several times, clean everything involved and put it back together.  Good for another 4 months or so.  I hope yours is as easy.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 03:14:04 PM »
I think every post above is right on the money. I have a 2001 Contessa and had the same issue with the motor brake. All I did with mine was move the end plate around and it started working fine again. It's been fine ever since.

But now that I mention it it may stop again. Lol!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Christopher Clark

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 01:25:26 AM »
Ok, went back at the slide today. Because it was frozen in the in position, I decided to try some of the suggests most accessible. I pulled te switch from the wall. 5 wires attached, could not pull the wires through with the blade connectors. So pulled the TV, exposed switch wiring and elusive relay(mounted inside TV cabinet). Started checking blade connectors to switch, rattled the Black wire( believe to be a common ground?) Slide began working😊😊😊. I think my senario was closest to Steve's, but now I know what to check.
Thanks so much!!!!!