Author Topic: WIPERS/WASHERS INOPERATIVE  (Read 4860 times)

Roger Bowton

WIPERS/WASHERS INOPERATIVE
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
Our wiper and washers suddenly stopped and  I can find no fuse.  When I turned them on they cycled twice and all stopped. Any ideas would be appreciated
06 Monterey
Roger

Bill Schneider

Re: WIPERS/WASHERS INOPERATIVE
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »
Roger,
I fixed a similar problem on my friend's '06 Monterey. The problem was in the cable for the Smart wheel. I believe it was called a clock spring.  It's the coiled ribbon cable mounted on the steering wheel, that connects to the steering wiring harness. Fatigue had fractured two lands on the ribbon cable. Before you tear your steering apart, check the status light on the smart wheel control box in your electrical bay (the first bay on the drivers side). If that's okay, the cable is probably the problem. Once you remove the cover for the steering wheel and the cover on the column, you can use a multimeter to check continuity through the cable. There is a connector about 1/2 way down the column. Disconnect it and measure between there and the wheel. Hope this helps.
Good luck, Bill
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:47:58 AM by 14 »

Roger Bowton

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:03:45 PM »
Where would I find the status light in the bay and what would I expexct to make the light come on?  Also,how does the wheel cover come off?

Thanks

Bill Schneider

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:31:03 AM »
Roger,
Before you jump into this procedure, make sure your wiper motor connection are good. Bad grounds are a common problem.
The wheel cover is easy. Just grab the top edge of the horn pad, and gently pull upward. It snaps on and off (4 snaps). There is a ground wire attached to the pad, so be careful not to damage it. Troubleshooting the VIP SmartWheel is a little more complex. VIP has a troubleshooting Guide that I believe I downloaded. It requires you to remove specified connectors and connect pins. There is a built in diagnostic mode once you do this. I don't know what your level of skill is in this area, so you must decide how much you are comfortable doing. The testing of the ribbon cable is the simplest. If you decide to troubleshoot the VIP module, it is located in the bottom right side of your electrical bay. It is well labeled and has four connectors attached. To eliminate the VIP module, turn on the ignition, locate the VIP module, and find the small hole on the face of the module. There should be a green light visible through the hole. If no light, you will have to troubleshoot the module.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:45:27 AM by 14 »

Roger Bowton

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the help. I just wasn't aware of what the VIP was, and have now downloaded the troubleshooting guide, and feel pretty comfortable. I had peeked under the rim of the wheel cover, and was guessing, but did not want to pull without knowing.  Thanks again

Roger
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:26:35 PM by 14 »

Roger Bowton

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »
Got it!   I removed and replaced all connections and all started working.  Thanks again for the help.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:34:44 AM by 14 »