Author Topic: Goodyear Tire Info  (Read 6035 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Goodyear Tire Info
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »
Ken Kruse forwarded this. Writeup focuses on the GY G159 tire which was manufactured till 2003 and used on Class A RVs. Based on the manufacturing date it is doubtful any are in use today, but just in case... GY replaced the G159 with the G670. (I had one, 2011 date code, fail in Oct).

"The below web site tells the story of defective Goodyear RV tires that may be of interest to your readers.  Beaver installed Goodyear tires on their RVs for many years.  Having had the Goodyear blowout experience on my RV, I long ago signed off on using Goodyear tires as did many seasoned Beaver owners.  Recent used Beaver purchasers, however, may not be aware of these defective tires."

https://jalopnik.com/how-goodyear-hid-evidence-of-the-worst-tire-made-in-his-1822200424
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Jim Nichols

Lee Welbanks

Re: Goodyear Tire Info
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »
I too had a Goodyear tire blowout and on the right front just to make things interesting. Back in the day when I was in the trucking business I would not buy any Goodyear tire for anything. Used to run them on our trailer and still had problems.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 05:16:54 PM »
Our Contessa had all Goodyear tires on it when we purchased it from a private seller. I had them all removed and put Toyo's on a few days after I bought it.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 04:32:30 AM »
Our Beaver is on its second set of GY 670 tires. First set came as equipped from the factory, second set were new in 2010. Still rollin' on.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:41:26 PM »
Our Beaver is on its second set of GY 670 tires. First set came as equipped from the factory, second set were new in 2010. Still rollin' on.

Our GY 670 tires have been on since 2013, no issues and still looking good.  I plan on replacing them in about three or four years and will consider multiple tire options including GY again.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 02:09:17 PM »

There are dozens of threads here about tire life and when to replace. Yours are 8 or close to 8 years old. That's a lot of whiskers for RV tires. I would consider replacing them asap.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 03:34:49 PM »
I just replaced my two steer tires with another set of Toyo's.

I probably could have waited another year, but had them off for complete front brake replacement and decided to get it done.

The rear are all the same date code and only five years on them, so still have a while to go on them. I had Goodyear tires when I bought our coach, but they still had the originals from 2001 on it.

First stop after I bought it was the tire shop!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 06:12:07 PM »
Stan, I'm saving up pennies for new steer tires; Only thing is the GY look new, not even a hint at a sidewall crack. I know that's not the whole story and I'm concerned about the age too. One thought, we put so little miles on our rigs compared to a big rig. How long will a tire on a big rig (steers, just for argument) last, in years? Do they replace big rig tires on mileage (tread depth), age or just after it lets go and becomes a road 'gator? And how 'bout steer vs drive tire failures on big rigs, or do big rig tires fail just because the recaps blow off?
 Anyone here know?
525 hp C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 06:45:27 PM »
Bill,
My 2011 date code tires had about 25K miles on them. The coach is stored in a garage when not in use so no UV problem. The tread and sidewalls looked good, no cracks. Inflation was set for weight on appropriate corner. Vast majority of travel was on interstates. Tire monitor system showed no issues. Sidewall blew out with no warning. I suspect a problem internal to the tire. In any case I won't ever have another GY tire on my rig. Not worth the risk!
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 02:08:10 PM »
Stan, I'm saving up pennies for new steer tires; Only thing is the GY look new, not even a hint at a sidewall crack. I know that's not the whole story and I'm concerned about the age too. One thought, we put so little miles on our rigs compared to a big rig. How long will a tire on a big rig (steers, just for argument) last, in years? Do they replace big rig tires on mileage (tread depth), age or just after it lets go and becomes a road 'gator? And how 'bout steer vs drive tire failures on big rigs, or do big rig tires fail just because the recaps blow off?
 Anyone here know?

Bill,
My tires are Yokohama's, brand new with a date code of August of 2011 when they were installed.
 They have never lost a smidge of air pressure, have no cracks, tread is like new. They have 35,000 miles on them. I will be replacing them when we get home from Florida in March.
There is plenty of discussion here, and in other RV forums about 7 years being the life of tires, regardless of wear, looks, etc. Granted, there are exceptions, but the 7 years has been the benchmark for as long as I have been RVing.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 04:13:04 PM »
Yep, I've read the forums, good advice.
525 hp C13

Dan Murphy

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 04:59:37 PM »
Our GY 670 tires have a DOT date of Dec 2012 and I intend to replace at 7 yrs. The steer tires developed some cupping or rivering and I had Glenns Tires in Wakarusa inspect them at the HR rally in 2016. He rotated the steer tires to the inside rear and installed Centramatic balancers on the rotated steer tires.

The steer tires are doing great and i have not noticed the wear I had previously seen. The ride and steering also improved! {Of course that could have just been the $300 i just spent}

This guy could have easily sold me new tires but he didn't and I will return there to buy new tires when the time is right. I will also listen to his advice about new tires.I talked to him a month ago and he was touting a Bridgestone tire. I don't know much about Bridgestone!

We have over 40000 miles on these tires and they ride fine and I do not add air. I keep them covered in Florida and we park inside when we are home
during the summer in Indiana.

With this being said I could have a sidewall blow-out at any time but so do Michelin tires. I did install the Tyron bands when we bought the coach in 2013.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 06:14:31 PM »
I talked to him a month ago and he was touting a Bridgestone tire. I don't know much about Bridgestone!

We had new Bridgestones (they own Firestone) on our HR and had no issues.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad