Author Topic: Safest way from Indio to San Diego?  (Read 4805 times)

Bruce Sieloff

Safest way from Indio to San Diego?
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:58:28 PM »
I'm near Indio and I have a need to be in San Diego near the end of this month and notice that CA 79 looks like it goes from Salton Sea through Borrego Springs to SD and is 124 miles. The alternate route is I-10 to Riverside and down via I-15 with adds another 50 miles to the journey. Travel time is about the same. CA 79 looks pretty twisty between Salton Sea and B Springs. Has anyone traveled this route and would you recommend it for a 45 ft coach? :-\

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
Re: Safest way from Indio to San Diego?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 12:56:52 AM »
Bruce, we have only gone to Borrego Springs with our coach and the first 10 miles is extremely slow due to large dips in the road. We were under 10 mph for the first 5 miles. If you don't get any other forum help suggest calling the many campgrounds in Borrego  Springs for information.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 03:50:27 AM »
Bruce, Go south and take I-8 over to San Diego

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 04:40:31 PM »
Hi Bruce,
I would take the 10 west then 79 south through Hemet/Temecula to 15 south. Good roads, and a nice drive. Try to hit the 15 earlier then later to avoid traffic though. Some great wineries to visit along the way in Temecula if so inclined. This avoids Anza Borrego. I did that drive down through Borrego Springs a few years ago and there is some very steep hills that had my wife giving me some nasty glances.
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

steve zannella

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 05:10:37 PM »
Bruce

California has road restrictions for motorhomes over 40 feet. You need to be aware of these roads as your insurance may not cover you if you have a incident or fines with police action. The roads your looking at to get to San Diego have some restrictions for your motorhome.

See the following Cal-tans restricted road map for san diego county http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/bus/docs/busmap-d11.pdf

Regards
Steve

Pat Long

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 06:18:47 PM »
Bruce,    You can take the 10 east toward Blythe, the take the 86 toward Brawley.  Stay on the 86 go to Westmorland, the only 4 way stop in Westmorland is S. Center Street, take a right, you are going south.  Take that street, it will turn into Forrester Rd, at least 10 miles to interstate 8.  Go west on 8 towards San Diego.  Be aware of the border check point the closer you get to Alpine Ca and the 2 lane highway traffic will stop suddenly without warning at times.

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 06:11:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I think we will take I-10 to I-215/15 south to our destination. I have been on some of the shortcuts and while I would love them on the Goldwing or a 911 I think we will stick to the Interstates for this trip. It's not shorter, but it is faster, and in this case fast wins. ::)

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
Thank you to all who responded.  I was aware that my 45' coach was prohibited on certain CA roads, but hadn't checked when I originally posted.  Bryan Beamon's post was enough to nix the route suggested by my phone's nav.  I hate driving boring freeways if a good alternative is available, but this coach is clearly not quite  as agile as one of my motorcycles!

Bob Bulot

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 11:56:35 PM »
Hi Bruce,

Good decision.  I make this trip all the time.  Even though it's around 20-25 miles farther than going over the 74 or 79, it will only take you only 15 minutes or so longer because its all freeway.  It's a much safer more relaxing drive.  I wouldn't recommend going over the 74 in your coach unless absolutely necessary. Lots of switchbacks, and accidents. It's a racetrack for kids on crotch-rockets.

I normally take the 10 west to the 60, then continue through Moreno valley to the 215 instead of staying on the 10 all the way t0 the 215.

Pat Long

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 11:59:47 PM »
Bruce,    The way I have stated is the way I have taken for years.   I have even taken oversize loads that way from !000 Palms to San Diego, 130000 lb. loads.   I would not have given false information, seen 100 foot loads go over on the 8, nice scenery also.

I have routed you away from the 74 and the 79.

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 07:34:20 PM »
Thanks Pat for your info, I'm sure it's accurate.
My actual destination is Del Mar, a bit north of San Diego so it's actually a bit shorter to go the I-10/I-15 route.
I may take your advice on the way back though just to see the countryside.
I need to find a destination for March as we work our way north and am thinking about Las Vegas/St. George, but a bit of a delay along the border wouldn't cause me any heartburn.