Author Topic: Storage techniques  (Read 3079 times)

Paulhowell

Storage techniques
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:57:39 AM »
When storing your coach for short term (1-3 weeks), what is the preferred technique for the air bags and electrical? I don’t usually hook up electrical unless it’s going to be more than three weeks. I just turn off the master electrical switch. Would it be better to hook up to electric even for short term?
I usually dump the air completely. I was wondering if perhaps I should leave some air in the system. Would this be easier on the airbags? Does anyone put down the jacks to take some weight off the suspension? If I don’t Hook up the electrical, I run the generator for about 15 minutes prior to starting the engine  to make sure I’m not overtaxing the engine alternator at startup.
Thanks.

Paul Howell
1999 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425hp
Spartan Magnum Chassis

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Re: Storage techniques
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:21:56 AM »
Our coach levels on the chassis itself.  Nothing wrong with letting all the air out of your system. I always take my slides out and level the coach when not using it. However, I do have an RV shelter protecting it from the elements.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:35:34 AM »
Paul,

We had the same Monterey for 12 years.  So, at various times it had to do duty in neglected storage. 

I never dumped the air.  But, I don't think it really matters.  No matter what you choose to do, no damage will be done.

Electrical is a bit different because batteries are involved.  You have to completely disconnect them or feed them with a "float" trickle charge.  You either plug it in, or fully disconnect them with the switches in the back. 

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »
Paul,
On your coach, you should either plug it in or disconnect the main negative chassis battery cable. The disconnect switches on your coach does not disconnect the ECM(engine control module), and it will kill your chassis batteries in less than a week if you have no sun for the solar panels or shore power to maintain battery charge.

As for the rest of your question, I would leave the slides in to reduce the chance of a leak, and put the jacks down to reduce the chances that the air bag on one corner could leak down and cause an uneven twist in the chassis.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett