Author Topic: How to bleed air out of the hurricane coolant lines  (Read 3363 times)

Eric Palmer

How to bleed air out of the hurricane coolant lines
« on: February 21, 2018, 03:01:19 AM »
I found a leak just below the circulating pump and replaced a small section of the tube. Now I'm getting the "high limit" fault probably from air in the system. I read in other posts that running the pump would take care of the issue, but so far, after allowing the fault to occur and then not resetting and allowing the pump to run hasn't bled the air out of the system. Now I'm guessing the reservoir in the nose of the RV is the coolant supply/overflow. I left the cap off during this procedure. Any suggestions? I just want to get going but keeping finding issues. Unfortunately  we are leaving from Ontario and we might be in cool weather fo the first couple of days and I want this working. Prior to the leak the system was working great!!!Thanks. Eric

Pat Long

Re: How to bleed air out of the hurricane coolant lines
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 02:56:33 PM »
Eric,   I just replaced my comfort hot tank on my heating system which is also linked with the Hurricane heater.  I had to bleed the air out by disconnecting the hoses at the surge tank in the engine compartment, add some extension hoses to them with a hand held pump that connects to a cordless drill motor.  After doing that i put some coolant in a 5 gallon bucket so I could draw out with the supply line and refill with the feed line.  After doing that I was able to bleed the system of all the air and the pump would work as before I opened the system.  I used clear plastic hoses so I could see the liquid flowing through them. 

Eric Palmer

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 03:00:27 PM »
Ok. This is gonna be a little more involved than I first realized.

Eric Palmer

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 07:10:14 PM »
I loosened the hose on the intake side of the pump (beside the hurricane) and poured coolant in with the pump running, and when there was a good flow coming from the hose I loosened it from I quickly put them back together. There is still air in the coolant line as I can see bubbles moving through the line (one line is see through). Because of this sometimes it will run and then a bigger bubble forms and I get the "high limit" fault. I'm gonna look into the previous posters idea dealing with the surge tank, but thought I would try my way first as I don't have a pump.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:12:52 PM by Eric Palmer »

Pat Long

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 03:07:27 AM »
Eric,    This is the pump  I used.     I had alot of air in my system and until I bled it the pump would not pump any fluids.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Water-Source-200-GPH-Drill-Pump-DRP-1/203449537
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:09:01 AM by Pat Long »

Eric Palmer

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 12:52:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. Here is what I ended up doing. I eventually found my expansion tank (not sure if thats what it is but it's a black cylindrical tank with a radiator cap) up in the nose of the RV and opened the cap. Then I went back to the line I had opened before the pump.While running the pump I poured coolant in the hose until coolant was steadily coming from the hose I had disconnected from. As quick as I could I stopped pouring and connected the hose. As the pump ran the air made its way out up through the tank in the nose. (audible sounds of bubbles)
Thanks for the help. I'm learning as I go and this thing has a step learning curve! Hopefully this might help someone else. Heading down south tomorrow towards Florida from Ontario. Happy RVing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:58:36 PM by Eric Palmer »