Author Topic: Shower Seat  (Read 3884 times)

Michael Hannan

Shower Seat
« on: February 23, 2018, 06:43:24 AM »
Hello.  I bought a folding show seat I want to install.  Does anyone have experience using threaded inserts into Corian? There's a nice product in England called Keep-Nut (http://www.npfasteners.com/composites/keep-nut.htm) that would work but it looks like these and the other folks that carry it are wholesalers who want to sell me a lot more than I need. I don't know if wood inserts would support the seat and occupant like the 400 lbs the Keep-Nut does.

MJ

Mike Shumack

Re: Shower Seat
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »
How about a free-standing seat? Easier to install for sure :D  Just need to remove it or lay it down when traveling.
https://www.signaturehardware.com/bathroom/bathroom-accessories/shower-seats-and-stools.html

EDIT: I should have added, I have the fold down teak seat shown in my link in my home (in my Steam Shower). I mounted it to the tile wall and into the wood studs behind (not helpful info for you situation) but the instructions say the anchor screws need to go through the tile and into the wall studs at least 2 inches.  There is a lot of leverage applied to the mounts with those style seats)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:30:55 PM by Mike Shumack »

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:54:27 PM »
What does the shower seat you purchased look like and what is it's weight capacity? Can you provide a website for the seat you purchased?
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »
Michael,
I would not install any seat in the shower that is only attached to the wall of the corian material, I believe you would pull the sheet of corian loose on the wall. If the seat had a stiff leg or legs you might be ok. Those inserts that you are looking at I dought they would hold for long. We thought about a seat but only a free standing model.
Will our shower I can get at the valve side by removing the mirror in the bedroom but I still wouldn't attach a seat to the wall.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 04:29:18 PM »
Interesting how manufacturers try to cut cost where they can. In our 2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, made by Monaco, there was a shower seat. When we purchased the Beaver, made by Monaco, no shower seat (how is a lady supposed to shave her legs?). We had the dealer install one as a condition of purchase. I know they went through the wall in the bedroom, but I don't know exactly how it is fastened. We have never had a leak or other issue.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »
We use a free standing teak seat from BB&B.  When we purchased our coach BCS attached the grab handles to a thick piece of Corian (I think) and then glued that to the shower.  Said just mounting to existing would not hold.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Michael Hannan

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 12:20:33 AM »
What does the shower seat you purchased look like and what is it's weight capacity? Can you provide a website for the seat you purchased?

http://www.grabbarscanada.com/Folding-Shower-Seat-p/gbc-506-15.htm