Author Topic: "Fast Idle" and "Air Heater" warning lights on dash how/when do they come on?  (Read 4294 times)

Mike Shumack

I was reading through the owners manual for the Patriot, and i came across two things that I want to ask about.
On the dash there are warning/indicator lights for "Air Heater" and "Fast Idle".

1) The manual (page 384) says the "Air Heater" light "monitors air intake heater at start". I never saw this light come on, but being in FL it may not be cold enough to need intake heating.
Is this light supposed to come on when the Intake Air Heater is working? Or only if there is a problem with the Heater?
(also where is this heater located? I have not seen anything that looks like a heater in the air intake system/piping). What is the heater's power source (electric grid)?

2) The warning light for "Fast Idle" warning light: The manual says if this light comes on, it alerts of "severe out of range condition within the engine protection circuits".
Is this correct?

I thought I read here/somewhere that the Fast Idle light is supposed to come on when you manually raise the idle speed (with Cruise Control On > pressing the Set button or Resume button to raise idle). Currently my fast idle is not working. The cruise Control does not turn on so I can't test this light for myself (I'll need to troubleshoot that next).

Thanks for sharing.

Gerald Farris

Mike,
The manuals for these coaches are fairly generic, in that they are not model specific. I think that you are reading about the Patriot and not the Patriot with the Thunder option. The 2005 Thunder has a C 13 that does not have an air intake manifold heater like the engine that was used in the Patriot without the Thunder option.

Gerald   

Mike Shumack

Thanks. That is helpful to know on the heater.
What about the Fast Idle light - should it come on whenever the engine is on fast idle or just if there is a problem?

Gerald Farris

Mike,
I can not answer the question about a "fast idle light". Monaco may have installed one on your coach, but I have owner 3 different Beaver coaches, and none of them had a "fast idle light".

Gerald

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
We have a "fast idle" toggle switch on the panel next to the captain's chair. I rarely use it, mostly when airing up after sitting for awhile. There is a red light that comes on, on the dash, when it is engaged. It's in line with the Air Heater, Wait to Travel, Exhaust Brake Engaged, Air Brake, etc.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

I don't have the Fast Idle switch. Mine is supposed to work through the Cruise control switch (which is not currently working). Once I get that fixed, I can see for myself if the Fast Idle light comes on. 

It would not be unusual to have some warning lights installed that are not operational depending on the model (like Gerald mentioned on for Air Heater).

Patriot Thunder dash lights:

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Mike, I don't remember if I suggested this to you before but you may try turning your engine brake on before you turn on the cruise control.  Contrary to everything I've heard here my Jake has to be on for the cruise control to turn on.  It drove me nuts before I figured it out.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH