Author Topic: Strange problem after disconnecting batteries - bay door lock relay buzzing?  (Read 2490 times)

Mike Shumack

I removed all the batteries and cleaned and painted the battery tray.
It was getting dark as I reinstalled the batteries and made the final connections. I was about to head into the house I heard a faint buzzing like noise. I traced the noise to the front electrical bay. I discovered one of the relays (K7) was buzzing. It was the relay for the bay door locks. I pulled the power wire off it for the night.

The next morning I reconnected the wire and the buzzing started again. On a whim I went to the keypad entry at the entry door and entered my unlock code. I heard a click at the relay and the buzzing stopped. Everything seems to working normally now.

I assume the removal of the batteries somehow messed with the keyless entry system (although my code was remembered), although I'm not sure why the relay was buzzing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does this sound normal or maybe a sign that the "K7" relay is going bad?

Mike Shumack

I'll just mark this experience up as one of those things that happens when one owns a complicated piece of machinery.

Gerald Farris

Mike,
It sounds like the bussing problem was caused by the keyless entry system. I doubt very seriously that you K7 relay was the problem. The loss of power caused the keyless entry module to cycle the relay rapidly thus causing the bussing. Once you cycled the module, it knows where everything should be and operates normally.

Gerald