Author Topic: How is the mirror attached to wall next to dinette?  (Read 2542 times)

Mike Shumack

How is the mirror attached to wall next to dinette?
« on: March 09, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
On my Patriot there was originally a mirror on the wall next to the dinette (on the wall separating refrigerator from dinette area). This mirror was gone when I bought the coach.
We would like to put the mirror back in place. I can have a local shower glass-door company cut/provide the mirror for me (about 80" x 30"). I think it will be pretty heavy.

How should the mirror be attached?

As the wall now is just clean wood, it does not appear any adhesive was ever used. Is the mirror just held in place with clips/supports at the four corners? What do you recommend? Seems like clips and adhesive would be the best.

Jim Houghton

• BAC Member
Re: How is the mirror attached to wall next to dinette?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »
Mine had actually come loose and I removed it to find that it has clips in the four corners and a caulk type adhesive all around behind the mirror to keep it from vibrating. That is what I used to reattach it once I removed most of the old adhesive.

Jim
2021 Entegra Cornerstone
2003 Beaver Contessa Tuscany (sold)
Pleasant View, TN :)

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:17:32 PM »
The caulk idea sounds smart. These coaches do vibrate a bit going down the road.

Did you use a specialty caulk made for mirrors, or just the standard bathroom tub/sink type caulking?

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 02:50:45 PM »
Mike, In our 06 PT all the mirrors are attached with 2" wide velcro strips top to bottom. On that note all wood trim pieces are also stuck on with velcro.

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »
The mirrors in my '05 Monterey are backed with long strips of 2 inch wide heavy duty double faced tape. The substantial mirror weight is supported on the bottom by a full width mirror 'J' channel and clips at the top.

http://www.wgsonline.com/glass/353-10908.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA_ojVBRAlEiwAOLRxIwHMFwmx_X6EDtvhVh_3L0sgiH69OegESaFmd6ocEQ4_dAo6BMFqjBoCkz0QAvD_BwE
I used a wire saw to cut through the double faced tape in order to trim a 3 inch crack off the bottom of one of the bedroom mirrors.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I will definitely get the J-channel for the bottom.
I got a price for a 80" x 30" mirror (1/4" thick) for $180. But the glass shop said to add a 1/2" bevel on the edges would bump the cost up to $340 (the increase is partially because they have to send the glass to someone else for this step). Maybe there is a local glass shop with a beveling machine - I'll call around some more.

Did the stock mirror have a beveled edge?

Is the bevel just decorative or does is add some structural value too (like preventing chips on the edges)?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 08:08:41 PM »
Ours is beveled.  The edges bevel slope is about 3/4" wide around the whole mirror's circumference and the thickness at the edges appears to be about 1/2 of the thickness of the non-beveled mirror.

All the mirrors in the coach where the mirror edge is showing are beveled - several small vertical mirrors in the kitchen (on the backsplash wall behind and above the long kitchen countertop), two tall mirrors on the kitchen/dining rooms backwalls (one mirror on each side of the pocket door), two tall mirrors on the fore walls in the bedroom (one mirror on each side of the pocket door), one mirror above the bedroom vanity (again a backsplash wall), and a huge square mirror on the backside of the bedroom vanity.  Generally, the smaller mirrors have a narrower width beveled edge.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:47:24 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 08:51:45 PM »
Thanks. That info helps.