Author Topic: Aqua Hot  (Read 4126 times)

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
Aqua Hot
« on: March 13, 2018, 06:24:03 PM »
We have a Aqua Hot HHE200-09e.  We serviced it Oct. 17 with new nozzle. filter was changed Jan 17.  Burns clean and sounds good.  The shower setting seams to be more towards the hot side more than ever. The heat registers will shut down doing shower with in 30 sec of hot water demand. any ideas would be appreciated.
2006 Beaver Monterey Montclair IV
Chassis: Magnum
Engine: C-9-400
Dale Soule'

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Aqua Hot
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 07:13:45 PM »
Lets assume you are not running on Electric only? You may have a mixing valve or pump issue we didn't have the 200 model but we have member that do lets see what they say. You might try to adjust the mixing valve as a start,
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Samuel Sperbeck

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 07:40:42 PM »
According to the Aqua Hot web site a Model HHE 200-9E is a Hydro Hot not an Aqua Hot. Our Hydro hot manual says that during hot water use the heating function shuts down. I think your unit is operating the way it was designed to.
Good luck, Sam

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:26:13 PM »
My Aqua Hot 450D functions the same way. Priority is given to the hot water.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 11:56:55 PM »
Dale, Sam is correct in that you have a HydroHot, not an AquaHot.  But that’s just semantics... they operate essentially the same, just a size application difference.  As noted, hot water gets priority status, so when a hot faucet comes on the “furnace” side temporarily defers to it.  Otherwise your spouse might be screaming her shower was too cold. 

We’ve heard this water temp issue before here, and commonly the answer relates to the mixing valve, as Jerry mentioned.  It could be the cold water mix-in isn’t happening as it should.  As I recall, some just tap on the valve to free any problem, but others require more thorough service.

Perhaps those members with actual experience therewith will proffer detailed instruction.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 05:21:22 AM »
I stand corrected it is a Hydro Hot unit , re read the manual this afternoon, still seems like the water us not as hot. Thanks to everybody that help.  Dale
Dale Soule'

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 03:33:01 PM »
Dale,
Have you been "exercising" your mixing valve when the yearly service is preformed? If not, you can try that (instructions in repair manual, available online) before you try adjusting the mixing valve setting. If that does not help, try adjusting the mixing valve a little hotter, then as a last resort, overhaul the mixing valve. Your Hydro Hot will heat the water as hot as you want it if your mixing valve is functioning properly.

Gerald

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
Thank you, That might be the problem, I haven't touched it. the hot water is a little on the cooler side that it has been.
Dale Soule'

Russ Mann

Re: Hydro Hot
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 10:37:45 PM »
Dale,
Had a very similar problem upon returning from Mesquite. We had to keep moving the shower valve towards the hot side while taking a shower. We always use the diesel burner. Turned out to be the mixing pump, it was turning but not mixing. Ron came out and replaced it with the new style. The only issue in replacing it yourself is that you have to drain all the coolant. If yours has never been changed it might be a good time to do that. Now we have an issue where we can't get heat out of zone 1 (living room) and the lights on the PCB do not show any errors. The pump appears to be working and tapping the valve does not resolve the problem. Ron is coming next week to fix it.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 01:03:52 AM »
Dale,
Russ may be on to something, I understood from your post that the hot water temperature was constant, but it just was not hot enough. However, if your complain was that the water temperature drops as you are showering instead of remaining constant, you may very well have a stir pump (Russ called a mixing pump) problem. The pumps on most of the Aqua Hot and Hydra Hot units in that era used a magnetically coupled impeller drive that was poorly designed. The magnet can crack and drag on the housing causing a slow or inoperative impeller even though the motor is running. You can check for this problem by feeling of the hoses on both sides of the stir pump (see the repair manual for your unit).   

Gerald

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 02:40:56 AM »
Thanks Gerald & Russ,  The water temp is constant, just moved over to the warmer side , also the heaters in the a.m. seem to take a little longer to take the chill off, those two things I will check on.  Thanks
Dale Soule'

Russ Mann

Re: Hydro Hot
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
Dale,
The problem you're describing sounds like a change in the mixing or tempering valve. The valve's function is to mix cold water with the hot water to obtain the correct maximum hot water desired at any faucet. This is adjustable through the tempering valve. This valve is located on the rear of the Hydro-Hot and has a knob which is used to set the temperature. This valve CAN get dirty or have a calcium build-up. Turning this valve from one extent to the other several times will usually clear anything from the valve. When finished just set the valve to what you want the maximum hot water temperature to be. I emailed you the (too large to post here) Hydro Hot manual and you want to reference pages 25 and 26. The PVC connection between the tank and the tempering valve is a good place for a leak, I removed all the PVC and replaced it with a SS covered hose like those used for the under sink connection.

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 09:21:39 PM »
Thanks Russ; Have the manual, read it and wull work on it with the weather is a bit warmer. so for I have justed the amount of water that flows through the valve, plenty hot now that i slowed it down,
Dale Soule'

Bill Sprague

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 10:33:02 PM »
I had a love-hate relationship with my HydroHot!   It broke a lot and consumed a lot of part$.  Three years out of the 12 we had it, it didn't work very well.  Water temperature was inconsistent.  Showers were OK with a lot of valve twiddling. In hind sight, it was usually a stir pump problem.  When it was working, it was as good as in a stick house, which is the love part.

The first thing to check if hot water is not doing what you expect is the outside shower.   If you close the valve on the shower head and leave the knobs on, it mixes hot and cold everywhere else.

If that is not it, based on my experience, inconsistent water temperature is probably a failed or partially failed stir pump. 

(I think stir pumps are unique to the HydroHot.  I don't think the bigger AquaHots had them.)

Stir pumps are hard to trouble shoot.  I had three of them.  All it does is keep the coolant circulating.  Due respect to Gerald, but you can't check it by seeing if the outlet hose is hot.  As he said, the pump has a magnetic drive.  It is a crappy magnetic drive.  If it is functioning at even a 10% flow rate, the hose gets hot, you think it is working, but nothing is getting done.  I had two different "professional" AquaHot techs declare my stir pump was fine.  One used an IR meter.  Then one day, John Carrillo performed a full, end to end, troubleshooting of the entire system and showed me it the stir pump was not working.  (https://heatmyrv.com/). 

I replaced the mixing valve once too.  On the HydroHot, you can't reach it with any normal arm and have the leverage to exercise it.   Even if you can exercise it, you can't see to put it back where it was.  You have to crawl under and take the back panel off.  When I changed it, it didn't fix the inconsistent lukewarm problem. 

Another issue can be the coolant.  John Carillo explained that, over time, water evaporates faster than the coolant it is mixed with.  When we add the 50/50 mix, the effect is that it gets a too high level of coolant to water.  If you have to add a little, it is better to use distilled water than a mix!

Related is the coolant we use.  The coolant used in the HydroHot around 2000 used the green poison, not the "safe" stuff used in later AquaHots.   Add enough of the safe stuff and the mix will be wrong resulting in lowered ability to heat water or air.

Regarding the either water or heat option, the HydroHot is big enough to do both unless maybe the water is icy cold.  To "fix" it, it is a simple and short jumper on the board.  (No, I can't remember which two pins!)

Maybe more important than anything else, is that the burner tubes crack.  I bought two when the cracks were still small.  I never found out what happens if the cracks get big. 

Other repairs included needing a new (extra large) "radiator" cap twice, a bearing deep inside the burner, the electric element, the electric element relay, the high temperature limit switch and cracked plastic plumbing in the back.

When we sold it, I swear it was working perfectly.  The buyer, Rick Lalande, immediately had trouble with it.