Author Topic: Hitch mounted Bike Rack  (Read 3503 times)

Mike Stuart

Hitch mounted Bike Rack
« on: March 15, 2018, 01:56:02 PM »
I'm looking to install a hitch mounted (2 bike) bicycle rack behind my coach.  As I shop for these I note that some of the online vendors (E-Trailer specifically) doesn't recommend these for RV's.  They seem to broadly discourage use of these racks on all RV's to include 5th wheels and trailers.  I understand the concern has to do with swaying and bouncing and the stress that places on this type of rack.  I certainly understand that concern on a 5th wheel or trailer, however I don't see the same issue on a Motor Home.  I also note a number of postings indicating use of hitch mounted bike racks on this forum and a search can't find anyone who has had issues.  I have also noted a number of Coaches with these kind of racks installed on the road.  So I'm thinking this is doable but would appreciate some feedback from those who have experience.

Does anybody have any suggestions, advice, or experience they can share?

Thanks!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hitch mounted Bike Rack
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 03:00:29 PM »
Mike,
Your hitch is rated at 5000 lbs so towing the Honda and adding a bike (motorcycle?) rack will probably overload it.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »
Mike, What I did on our 06 PT was to get a 2" receiver hitch piece long enough to span across the tow hitch on the back of the coach, drilled and mounted it with 2(1/2 grade 8 bolts) to the left (driver side) of the tow bar hitch a few inches. Mounted it back far enough for the Yakima rack to clear the back of the coach with the engine door lifted. I can get you a couple pic's a little later.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 04:01:10 PM »
I'm looking to install a hitch mounted (2 bike) bicycle rack behind my coach.  As I shop for these I note that some of the online vendors (E-Trailer specifically) doesn't recommend these for RV's. 
Thanks!

Where are you hearing these bicycle racks are not recommended for RVs? I went to E-trailer website and did not see that mentioned. If the bike rack works on an SUV why wouldnt it work on a motorhome? They even have a section for "RV bike racks". https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_and_Camper_Bike_Racks.aspx
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:04:19 PM by Mike Shumack »

Pat Long

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:26:53 PM »
Mike,    I use the Yakima Holdup 2 on my coach for my bikes and it works very well.  The hitch pin is threaded and you tighten it down to secure the rack and also to stabilize during transporting the bikes.  Also has locks to secure the bikes on the rack.  Will hold up to 120 lbs and is available is 1.5" and 2' hitch receivers.  I believe its the best on the market. 

https://www.yakima.com/holdup-2-1

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 04:51:03 PM »
I have the Thule platform style hitch mounted bike rack that mounts in the receiver of my Jeep. If  your toad has a receiver, I recommend this setup. Doesn’t void the rack warranty and allows easier access to the bikes and coach engine.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 05:47:18 PM »
I'm with you Chuck, IMHO much better way to go.
Mine mounts on back of my PT Cruiser.

Mike Stuart

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 07:57:48 PM »
Thanks to all for your input.
We are just transporting bikes so hitch rating isn't an issue.
I see now that ETrailer does list some carriers that are RV rated; Thanks Mike!
I'm still considering whether to mount on the RV hitch or on the car.
Again, thanks to all!

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 03:58:11 AM »
Mike:

I use a Kaut bike rack, it is very robust. I added the two-bike extension for when friends travel with us, works great.  I also use it on my SUV, folds up and down, so when the bikes are off, I flip it up in the campsite on the Beaver.  It is a bit more expensive than some of the others, but well worth looking at.

I bought mine from REI, following is a link:  https://www.rei.com/product/109807/kuat-nv-20-2-bike-hitch-rack

Randy
Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 07:37:59 AM »
I don’t know why GCWR rating would come into play (it’s more about the hitch weight - the actual download on the hitchbar) as the weight of rack and bikes is minimal, and at least on our coach the toad rating is 10k., not 5, and hitch wt. 500 - 1000 lbs.? as I recall.

With the right rack you can mount on either coach or toad, which is handy when the coach isn’t involved in an outing.  Consider either a “pass-thru” rack with male and female hitch configurations, or the extended hitch bar/clamp-on type.  My Weyerhaeuser machinist brotherinlaw built us the former style (insert/receiver/extension adapter with a “T’d” upright bar welded to it) in a basic but stout form 30 years ago for our Pace Arrow.  Kinda wish we still had it.

We later got one where the bike-holding arms folded down so on our canopied mini pickup or Explorer toad the tailgate could be lifted up without removing bikes and rack.  But it isn’t pass-through and only goes on the toad when towing, or coach when not.  On the coach it’s nice because the bikes can fold down so they aren’t in the way of the engine door. 

One issue that arose with that one is if a bike cover is contemplated for long dusty or wet trips, you are out of luck trying to tow because the cover will block the toad’s taillights.  Bike covers are only good for large coaches, not narrower vehicles.

I can’t advise as to today’s available racks as it’s been years since we shopped for one, given their expense.  But the ones the guys linked to above certainly sound at least functionally palatable.  I can attest that Yakima has been at it as long as any outfit, and would be a brand worth serious consideration.

Joel

Addendum:  after a little searching, pass-through models seem few and far between anymore.  Those that engender possibilities aren’t practical because their extension is only rated to 2000 lbs., encompassing only light trailers rather than toads.  A clamp-on/slip-on style seems the only realistic option, aside from welding up your own on a stout insert.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:55:50 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 03:43:10 PM »
Mike, we used this rack with 4 bicycles all summer in 2016.  We did all the usual western sight seeing trips.  It was mounted in the hitch on my pick up towed behind us.  We had no issues other than getting the kids away from their electronics to ride!
https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-Deluxe-4-Bike-Receiver/dp/B00TRTSW46/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1521211085&sr=8-11&keywords=bicycle+rack
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 05:42:14 PM »
I did the same as Randy, Kuat bike rack. Best ever and I have had them all (almost). Mount the bike rack on our Jeep Liberty toad. Use Roadmaster 'Quiet Hitch" on any receiver and or extension. If you use the Quiet Hitch, you will have NO movement of your bikes or rack. Solid as a rock. The Kuat even comes with a retractable cable lock. Buy it at REI so you can get your rebate at the end of the year.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."