Author Topic: Stuck in parking lot with electrical problems near Yuma AZ  (Read 1974 times)

steve zannella

On our way to reservations in puerto penasco mexico, went to get coach in storage and
chassis batteries died  The house batteries were fine but would not start engine with boost switch
so jumped started engine with car battery.
 drove to sams club to get new chassis batteries installed new batteries with reverse polarity then fixed the connection. drove about 150 miles with generator running and all seemed ok. Alladin showing chassis batteries and house batteries charging parked for the night and discovered the generator was not charging the chassis batteries but was charging the house batteries. Also 12 volt in the coach was registering 12.0 but the house batteries were showing 13.8
and chassis batteries were 12.8. checked the big boy and found 12.7 on one side and 12.18 on the in battery other side. next morning house and chassis batteries both reading 12.5 so started generator and  checked house batteries again this time heard the big boy clicking on and off. checked voltage inside coach and readings were jumping from 12.2 to 13.5 then all 12 volt power lost in coach. with generator still running started engine and 12 volt power restored then lost again.

checked all visible blade fuses in battery compartment look good.

should i start replacing big boy, bird not sure what to do next have reservations in puerto penasco mexico.

Any help is appreciated or tech recommendations.

Steve

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Stuck in parking lot with electrical problems near Yuma AZ
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »
The clicking of the relay is normal if the batteries are low. If the chassis batteries were connected to the coach when they were reversed, you probably damaged something.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

steve zannella

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 09:06:21 PM »
update

found a guy to work on the problem so far both disconnnect switches were bad now able to run generator charging both house and chassis batteries.

Next problem engine alternator not charging chassis or house batteries.

Steve

Tic Wilson

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »
If your alternator is not charging, it may be you blew diodes in the alternator, OR there is a large 200 or 300 amp fuse that may have blown.

steve zannella

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 04:39:23 PM »
So far the battery switches and alternator were fried and the aquahot diesel won't fire. I hope that's all. I went to Foothills RV in Yuma AZ and a tech named Don worked on the coach. I was so lucky to find him because his specialty is high end coach electrical systems. He had me up and running in 3 hours including installation of a spare alternator which I had been hording for a couple of years.
Lessons learned pay attention to battery cable locations before you or anyone replaces batteries!
Thanks for your comments