Author Topic: Install new coax cable from Winegard Travler Satellite to rear TV  (Read 4307 times)

James Morse

We are new to BAC and our 2004 45' Beaver Marquis Sapphire, and to hope to become a little more educated on the coach.  I just switched out the Winegard Travler Satellite Dish from Direct TV to Dish.  When buying the conversion reflector and arm for Dish I was told by Winegard that was it other than reprogramming the controller.  Now I found out each Dish Box in the coach needs a separate coax cable to it from the Satellite which means I need a new roof penetration and run a cable to the back bedroom.  The Satellite is located on the Drivers Side roof at the rear of the front slide; this is just about midway on the coach.  Inside the coach, it is just in front of the Refrigerator cabinet.  I took off the back panel in the cabinet above the Frig and could see 12 volt and 110 volt elec. cables, drains for the middle AC/Heatpump coming through the ceiling.  I thought this would be a likely spot to bring a cable down through the roof and get it into the basement cargo area and then to the back following the frame up into the bedroom TV cabinet.  Any suggestions or pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Jim

Gerald Farris

Re: Install new coax cable from Winegard Travler Satellite to rear TV
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 01:20:29 AM »
Jim,
There is already a coax running from the front A/V switch to the rear TV. So why not just run the extra coax through the same entrance hole as the front TV coax and connect it to the existing coax to the rear TV?

Gerald

James Morse

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 05:40:15 PM »
Gerald,

Thanks for the reply!  I assume the A/V switch is the audio/video switch, if it is I don't know where it is or what it looks like.  The previous owner has had several different people work on the coach who have disconnected some of the elec.lines and coax cables going to the Aladdin Computer System.  I have a hodge podge of cables and wires at the entertainment center located at the middle console below the middle of the dash.  The TVs have been replaced both front and back.  I was told by a Dish representative that Dish systems will not work with splitters and require individual feeds to each Dish receiver box.  The Winegard representative said I needed to find the power activated SWM splitter that Direct TV uses and remove it before the Dish boxes would work; I couldn't find the splitter but I did get the front Dish box and TV working.

From up on the roof, looking at the entry point of the existing coax cable it is located over the area of the slide out; I don't know if it runs up in the ceiling to the front or if it goes down to the frame rails and goes forward below with the wiring loom, hoses, etc.?  I assume if I go up on the roof and go back about a foot from the existing cable penetration I should be able to get into the cabinet above the refrigerator and go down the back side wall into the cargo area; at that point I can go forward or back.

Where the Satellite cable feed comes through the front of the coach, I can't get at easily because of the generator.  The generator will not slide forward enough to get access and trying to get up between the fiberglass front from the bottom requires someone much smaller than me:  I have been in there removing the headlights.  I suppose I could come up through the electrical compartment to get to the dash.

One of my main concerns is that if I do put a new lead in through the roof I don't want to hit one of the steel cross members in the ceiling?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,   Jim

Steve Funk

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 06:12:10 PM »
James, I don't think it is necessary to run a new coax to the bedroom.  I have the Dish Trvler and did not need a new coax when it was put in.  Two coax come from the dish through the roof.  One to the Hopper 3 I have up front.  The other is connected to the original coax to the bedroom which connects to the Joey.  I should have used a wireless Joey and wouldn't need a coax to the bedroom at all.  If you are using the 211K or 612 dish receiver you will need that 2nd coax for sure.  There are probably multiple coax up front, at least mine did.  There really would be no need to have a splitter in the line from the front to the bedroom TV.  If you don't find the coax that is labeled Bedroom TV try a Fox and a Hound tone meter.  I was able to identify the bedroom coax pretty easily with that.  I'm certainly not and expert but with todays wireless technology there must be a better way than trying to get a new cable from front to back.  I can only imagine what a PIA that would be.

Good Luck
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bob Bulot

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 06:49:53 PM »
Just ordered a wireless joey.  The cost is a one-time fee if $25 plus $15 shipping if you mail back your existing joey.  If you want to add the wireless joey and keep the existing one, it’s $7/month.

James Morse

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 05:26:54 PM »
Thanks Bob,

I will call Dish today!  I really don't want to run another coax cable!

Jim

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »
I text-chatted online this morning with a DISH TV representative.  She told me a Hopper/Joey system will not work in a RV.  I asked why.  She said the Hopper/Joey system will not work with "mobile antennas."  I explained to her we have a satellite dish that is raised only when parked.  Thus, we watch TV only when immobile (parked).  I explained while mobile (traveling) our dish is stowed down flat on the roof.  She insisted the Hopper/Joey systems will not work in a RV.  She could not explain why using any technical details why the Hopper/Joey system will not work in a RV.

I am not satisfied that the Hopper/Joey system will not work.  Someone (perhaps with it in his RV) please resolve this issue for me.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 11:51:37 PM »
Being a retired Microsoft Certified System Engineer, I will venture a guess as to Dish's reasons.  The Hopper is not built to withstand the bumps and tossing around on the road that a RV goes through. The hard drive especially, that records the programs, is a very sensitive instrument and a few potholes could end its life. I don't think Dish wants to continually repair their Hoppers if they said they could be used in RV service. The 211Z and other receivers rated for RV service are built for heavy duty service and all that I know of, do not have hard drives for recording. You can add your own hard drive to them (for a monthly fee to Dish) but then you are responsible for their repair. Also, you purchase the 211Z from third parties like Camping World and you own it. You are responsible for any repairs, not Dish.  The Hopper is leased from Dish and they repair it or replace it if it quits.

This is just my guess and opinion and I do not have any facts to back it up. I have been wrong before (just ask my wife).

Bob Bulot

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 02:18:25 AM »
I have been using the Hopper 3 and Joey from my house in my coaches for three years with a Winegard Travlr Sat Dish.  In order to make the Hopper work with the Winegard dish, you have to change the head with the 3 lnb’s to a different one.  Its strictly a pliers and phillips screwdriver operation.  there is a youtube that will walk you through it. 

The only other restriction is that you have to disconnect the hopper from the antenna before putting it up.  I do this with an AB switch.  When I am going to be somewhere for a week or so, I call Dish and change the location zip code and can then receive the local network stations.

The Dvr functions without the satellite connection, so we record lots of shows when we can.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 06:01:59 AM »
Some here might benefit by reading an older thread in another forum.  http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/116081-how-to-get-dish-hopper-when-fulltiming/

Since we don’t full time nor use our satellite dome, I’ll leave the technical stuff to you guys.  We just don’t watch that much tv when traveling;  better things to see and do I reckon.
Joel
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:04:22 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 03:22:10 PM »
Bob - So it's sounding like I would have to change the LNBs on both my house and coach dishes for the Hopper/Joey systems to work, eh?  Logic tells me that if the changeover in the coach from a DVR to a Hopper requires the coach's dish LNBs to be changed, then changing over from two DVRs in my house to one Hopper would also require the house satellite LNBs to be changed.  I guess what I am hearing is the Hopper/Joey system requires different LNBs versus the older DVRs.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bob Bulot

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 04:59:55 PM »
When the Dish installer put up my home system, he changed the LNB. 

Here's one of the references I used when I replaced the standard LNB with the hybrid. Notice now that the author now says the modification is "No longer recommended".  Appears that there is now a switch upgrade that eliminates the need to install the hybrid head.  I just know that 3 years ago. my standard HD 3LNB Travlr needed the new head before it would work.

https://rvseniormoments.com/tech-docs/dish-tv-for-rvs/hopper-3-use-in-an-rv/dish-pro-hybrid-winegard-travler-modification/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:08:26 PM by Bob Bulot »

James Morse

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 07:06:14 PM »
Gentlemen,

This what I have discovered in the last week after more than 2 hours on the phone.  After speaking with 3 different Dish people and 3 different answers and nothing definitive other than Dish will not provide you with a Hopper or wireless Joey to install in an RV; if you want to do this you have to buy from a third party the Hopper, a Wireless Joey, and the Wifi Joey connector, which I have ordered along with a Solo-node, a couple RG-6 coax cables and an AB switch. The following Link will take you to the layout.

https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/903_dish_hopper_wirelessjoey720dpi.jpg

I bought the AB Switch because another site said you need to disconnect the Hopper from the Winegard Travler when it is setting up and acquiring satellites, once locked on turn the switch back on connecting the Hopper.  I was told the only satellite dish that will work with the Hopper is the Traveler.  I purchase what I think I need from Amazon and on Ebay.

I was told Dish does not want Hoppers in RVs because of the potential movement and jarring around may damage the DVR; however, they will activate one if you purchase it, just not from them.  I may connect an external hard drive in the future.

Hopefully this will eliminate having to run more coax cable.

Thanks,  Jim

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 05:23:58 AM »
Every year when we leave I take the Dish Receiver, wireless transmitter, and two Joey's and install them in the coach, works just fine. Only issue is sometimes the one back in the bedroom has a hard time with live broadcasts, but works great with recorded media. Dish stated it had something to do with the signal for live being different from recorded and the steel structure of the coach. Of course Dish stated the system wouldn't work in a  MH, most all of the people you talk too are going by a script.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 03:14:08 PM »
Our Beaver came with a KVH SF dome, was told when we bought the RV the dome was once state of the art, now KVH tells me it won't work with anything. No upgrade path from KVH. If I were to fix, I'm afraid the DW would vanish from the outside of the RV, never to be seen again. I think I'll leave it broke!!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."