Author Topic: Coolant filter  (Read 6994 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Coolant filter
« on: April 12, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »
Believe I saw somewhere that a coolant filter is not needed if you are using CAT ELC and.... that it should be removed and inlet/outlet plugged. Is this correct?  Am I off base here or what???  I know my cooling system is using CAT ELC but not sure if a coolant filter also being used. 
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Gerald Farris

Re: Coolant filter
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 11:59:18 PM »
Fred,
Originally, you C12 came with what is normally called a "coolant filter". However, its main function is not to filter the coolant, it is actually a need release SCA cartridge that looks like a filter. It is designed to replenish the SCA level in the coolant. So with ELC coolant, SCA replenishment is not needed, therefore the "coolant filter" is not needed.

Since the number one cooling system failure by far on a C12 is the hoses that run to the unneeded "coolant filter", I advise everyone with a C12 that is running ELC to remove the hoses to the coolant filter and plug them at the engine. One hose goes to the intake and is visible from below the coach, and the other one enters the timing cover above the water pump and you have to remove the alternator to access it. The fitting in the intake is a 1/2 inch pipe plug and the one under the alternator is a 7/16 hydraulic plug with an O ring seal.

Gerald   

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 12:27:15 AM »
Fred,
Originally, you C12 came with what is normally called a "coolant filter". However, its main function is not to filter the coolant, it is actually a need release SCA cartridge that looks like a filter. It is designed to replenish the SCA level in the coolant. So with ELC coolant, SCA replenishment is not needed, therefore the "coolant filter" is not needed.

Since the number one cooling system failure by far on a C12 is the hoses that run to the unneeded "coolant filter", I advise everyone with a C12 that is running ELC to remove the hoses to the coolant filter and plug them at the engine. One hose goes to the intake and is visible from below the coach, and the other one enters the timing cover above the water pump and you have to remove the alternator to access it. The fitting in the intake is a 1/2 inch pipe plug and the one under the alternator is a 7/16 hydraulic plug with an O ring seal.

Gerald

OK thanks, from what I understand what you are saying is.... the main problem is the hose may break and cause leakage of the coolant causing the engine overheat. Is that what the problem would be?  Is this be a common occurrence?
Fred & Cindy

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 02:21:40 AM »
Fred,
Yes, hose failure is the problem since it runs by the exhaust manifold and is subjected to a high heat environment the failure rate is 100% even though it is routed through a heat shield. However, if you want to keep the "coolant filter", Cat and several other manufacturers make a blank can with no SCA content for engines running ELC, but you should at least replace the hoses with high temp tolerant silicone hoses, and maybe reroute the hoses to avoid the exhaust heat.

Gerald   
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:15:01 AM »
Well, I just drove my coach nearly 2000 miles over the past couple weeks to Florida and back.... not knowing any of this. My surge tank has a small leak so I order the metal replacement earlier today.  It won’t get here till Wednesday but I have to take a 100 mile trip with the Beaver on Monday and will be gone for a week. So, I guess I am still taking risks.
Fred & Cindy

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 10:06:45 PM »
Fred,

Gerald

Gerald... I spent a long time under my coach to locate the hoses and the filter as you described and can not find anything the closely matches. The only filter I see underneath is the oil filter. There is a metal pipe under the exhaust heat shield that runs out to the transmission cooler. I also looked behind the alternator and underneath and discovered a shinny plug on what looks to be the top of the water pump. Is this where the outlet hose would originate? The plug does not look original to the motor as it has no trace of yellow CAT paint on it. So... I am thinking maybe someone has already removed the hoses and filter. 
Fred & Cindy

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 11:19:26 PM »
Fred, the filter is mounted on the frame rail on the passenger side of coach. The top hose from the filter attaches to a fitting behind alternator. You must remove alternator to get to it. The bottom hose attaches to a fitting next to exhaust pipe coming down from exhaust manifold. I believe it is a 3/8" hose, wrapped in a orange colored flexible heat tube. It is right next to exhaust pipe, witch causes heat related failure. If you have ELC coolant, witch is red in color, someone may have removed it for reasons explained in above post from Gerald. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:58:04 PM »
Frank... I just took another look and think I located the filter.  The part number is WF2051 and it has a turn valve like a water spicket.  There are no hoses coming in or leaving the filter and the in/out valves are plugged. The coolant is red and there was some extra CAT ELC in the basement when I bought the coach last September. Also, I still cannot identify the hoses you described above.  So.... a previous owner may have made the change earlier leaving the old filter in place.  Thanks! 
Fred & Cindy

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 12:22:19 AM »
Fred, sounds like you located the filter body. It should have two shut off handles. If both outlets on filter body are plugged, top and bottom fittings on motor must also be plugged, therefore you should be good to go. It is kind of a pain to remove filter body, but it is a cleaner looking job if it is removed. One more thing to check, on bottom of motor, next to exhaust pipe, there should be a 1/2" pipe plug screwed into block. If this is present it confirms it has been disconnected. This is the easy end to check as the one on top requires the alternator to be removed to see fitting. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 12:39:59 AM »
Frank, yep... looks like a coupe plugs in the block.  Thanks very much for helping.
Fred & Cindy

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »
Thanks all. I will be inspecting our coach to see if this system is still employed. And we just changed the coolant to elc just a few weeka ago. Maybe drain, recover replace may need to be performed.
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 03:05:51 PM »
  Finally got around to replacing the engine coolant with ELC and also took Gerald's advice to remove the coolant filter hoses and install plugs. I've enclosed some pics for those who were looking where these hoses are removed. The 7/16 hydraulic plug is the one behind the alternator. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 03:12:26 PM »
  The other picture was too large, had to down size it, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 12:12:38 AM »
Was just thinking of doing this. Just to confirm, on the C-12 it’s a 7/16 hydraulic plug behind the ALT and a 1/2 pipe plug below the exhaust manifold.  Will coolant come pouring out as soon as the hose fittings are removed?  Does the system need to be drained, or can it be done quickly enough to prevent a lot of fluid loss?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 12:24:57 AM »
   Adam, With the radiator drained, I did not get any coolant when the hoses were removed. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV