Author Topic: Replaced headlight switch - but old stem wont go all the way into new switch  (Read 2437 times)

Mike Shumack

This is odd. I installed a new headlight switch but I cant get the old headlight switch stem to fit fully in the new switch. I goes in some but sticks out about 2 inches. And it was tight, I had a hard time getting it back out. The stem does not appear to be bent.

Also, the new headlight switch had a small tab at the end (to keep switch from rotating in the dash) but the hole in my dash did not have a notch for this tab. I had to use a file to make a small notch.

I did not notice this tab until I started to install the switch in the dash - and I didnt save the old switch, so I don't know if the old switch had a tab and Beaver just bent it straight or ground it off, or if there is a different switch I should have bought. The headlight switch I got is ACDELCO p/n "DEL D6251D".

Maybe the stem diameter is a little different (thicker) and now I need to buy a new stem for the new switch.

Has anyone seen this issue before?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:06:32 PM by Mike Shumack »

Lee Welbanks

Mike, That tab is supposed to hold the switch in a up position in the dash, fits is a slot in the dash. There should be a button on the bottom of the switch that you have to push in to get the stem to insert all the way into the switch. These switches have been around since the late 60's.
I'm sure there are a ton of videos on U-Tube on this switch.

Gerald Farris

Mike,
I have replaced very few headlight switches in coaches, as in 1, because headlight switch failures are very rare due to the fact that very little current is actually routed through the switch, the switch only operates relays in most coaches.

There are several questions that need to be answered, like how did you determine the proper switch without the old switch to match everything to like the connector, mounting surface, and shaft? If you discarded the old switch (bad idea), the only suggestion that I can make is to either take the old shaft and new switch to the parts store and find a switch that fits the same electrical connector and the old shaft or buy a new shaft to fit the new switch.

Gerald   

Mike Shumack

I've changed a bunch of light switches over the years, but always on a specific make/model car or truck, so I knew I was getting the right part. On the Beaver, I was not exactly sure what they used.

Everyone was saying it was a headlight switch from an early model GM/Chevy.
I matched the electrical connector to the pictures of the switch (for 1970 Chevy C20 pickup) at Rockauto.com . No problem with the connector. Fits fine.

However I did not notice if the old switch had the tab (I suppose it did not or the dash would have had a slot in the hole for it). Either Beaver bent the tab straight or they had a washer of sort behind the switch. Since I have all the dash panels pulled out now (I'm having them Hydro-Dipped) I have a box of fasteners and I could have missed some washer used on the backside of switch.

So the switch is mounted, the electrical plug fits fine. Just the shaft is not going in fully. U tried holding the button (for removing the shaft) In and wiggling it a little while inserting the shaft. No go.

I think the shaft is bent slightly. I ordered a new shaft (knob) off Amazon. It will be here Monday or Tuesday.

Lee Welbanks

It is not very hard to bend the switch after it is mounted in the dash, the thin metal front mount will bend just plugging the connections if you don't hold the switch which is impossible once mounted in the dash.