Author Topic: Suggestions for 3m clear coat polish  (Read 2345 times)

Tom Barnard

Suggestions for 3m clear coat polish
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:09:00 PM »
I have the 3m clear bra on the front of my rig as I'm sure most here do.
I realize that trying to peal off would be a nightmare as well as probably damage the paint underneath.
Mine has cracked all over and looks like hell. I saw a dynasty recently and the clear coat didn't look to bad. The owner said he polished it with a polishing compound. Has anyone tried this? What would be good to use? I got some Hyrosilex that I'm going to try on it afterward.

Gerald Farris

Re: Suggestions for 3m clear coat polish
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 11:02:10 PM »
Tom,
If your 3M shield on the front of your coach is already cracked, there is nothing that you can do but remove it. Polishing it will do no good because the sun damage caused cracks will go completely through the 3M shield. I have removed the 3M shield on 2 Beavers without damaging the paint, and it takes me about 2 days with a plastic scraper to remove the shield including the time with Goo Gone to remove the residual glue that is left behind. Then a quick polish with a good car polish and a buffer will make it look like new. Parking the coach in the Arizona sun in January or February when it is about 70 degrees makes the shield a little softer and easier to remove without overheating the scraper operator.

Gerald

Guy Pryor

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:19:30 PM »
Before I removed the 3M shield from My Beaver I tried several polishes even some rubbing compound it only made it look duller 

Tom Barnard

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 11:35:20 PM »
Shoot.. I was hoping for a magic solution :o