Author Topic: 10K LOF  (Read 3683 times)

jeffprupis

10K LOF
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:45:49 AM »
What items should I be certain to have checked/replaced when having a shop perform a 10K LOF? TIA

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: 10K LOF
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 01:58:59 AM »
What might a "10k LOF" be?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

jeffprupis

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 02:27:48 AM »
10,000 mile Lube, Oil, Filters.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:38:53 AM »
If using an RV dealer remind them to lube the U joints.  A truck repair will do it as routine but I have found that RV shops forget or just don't care.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 01:43:41 PM »
Hi Jerry,
Maybe not part of a normal LOF, but if you have grease style front wheel bearings, and you haven't had them checked in a while, that may be something you want to consider having done while it's in the shop. Then they can check the brakes and steering linkage too while the front end is off the ground.

Are you replacing all filters?
Oil,
Fuel,
Hyd,
Trans.

Do you change your oil(s) on a calendar or mileage basis - or do you have an oil analysis done to determine when to change the oil(s)?

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 03:24:28 PM »
Mike, just ran into this question while researching something else.  I don't believe I missed it!  Sorry about that!  I replace oil at 12K, after a year or when I get the urge.  We went to Alaska and back last summer and I got an oil change and chassis lube done at about 7500 miles.  It was mainly to get the chassis lube done after all those crappy roads primarily in Canada.  I've replaced all the filters on the coach at least once in the last 4 years.  I also had the Racor primary fuel filter switched out to the CAT system in accordance with Dave Atherton's recommendations.  I'm not a mechanic so I tend to get things done when I see them here on this forum.  I do wonder what they are missing that should be done when I get the LOF done.  At one point I discovered that the RV place (Eagle's Pride in Titusville) wasn't lubing the drive shaft and U joints as they should.  So I am in a constant state confusion on mechanical issues, BUT...getting better!  Again, sorry I missed the question, bet you had forgotten about it!  Take care.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 05:11:55 PM »
Besides the U-Joints, there are some hard to get at zerks in the steering column.  One is behind the enclosure inside.  On our '04 Monterey there was one slack adjuster with a nearly impossible zerk. 

Another easy to skip item is the hydraulic filter. 

Challenging to manage is the coolant system.  Regular or long life?  Drain and replace is hard to do because lines run forty feet forward for the dash heater.   There may be a coolant filter but it should match the coolant being used.   If you're not the original owner, it can be a puzzle about what is in it, what additives are needed and if any "top offs" were of the right stuff.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 06:41:10 PM »
Re coolant; Best approach is to get coolant analyzed by CAT or other reputable shop. If PO mixed ELC and regular coolant it will tend to foam and reduce cooling capability.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »
Having a Cummins made our Beaver a little bit of an odd ball.  With a Cummins, if the coolant wasn't right there was supposed to be a potential of cylinder sleeves getting pitted.   Most with a Cummins seemed to have a conventional diesel coolant that was not long life.  There are test strips to measure the level of needed additive.  I could get the additive in slow action filter or a bottle. In twelve years of paying attention to that, I never saw or heard of a single case where it actually happened.  Since it was not "long life", I drained and refilled the radiator every couple of years.  Draining the entire system was impossible.