Author Topic: holding tank sensor.  (Read 2616 times)

Dave Parks

holding tank sensor.
« on: April 16, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »
What is the procedure to replace the holding both the gray and black tank sensors?  My local mechanic says that the tank access is behind several panels and not readily accessible. What detail work has to be done to get to and replace the the sensors? Thanks for the help.

Dave

Gerald Farris

Re: holding tank sensor.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:18:01 PM »
Dave,
I have never changed the black or gray tank sensors on an 06 Monterey, but I am pretty sure that they are located in the end of the tank, just above the bottom, directly behind the water bay panel. So all that you have to do is remove the water bay panel and they are easily accessible.

One thing that I suggest you do when replacing the sensors if it has not be done by a previous owner, is to install a street elbow into the tank and screw the sensor into it so that the sensor is pointing down with a small trapped air pocket in contact with the membrane instead of being screwed directly into the tank with the waste in direct contact with the membrane. The addition of the street elbow seems to make the sensors last considerable longer.

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:20:04 AM »
Dave, I think Gerald is correct, although when BCS replaced our black tank sensor a few years ago, I don’t remember the panel being removed.  I guess I thought the tech got at the sensor from under the rig, but the tank bay is enclosed.  Essentially the water bay makes up the streetside end of the waste tank bay.  I may have simply forgotten all I saw when they took me back in the shop to show me the plugged sensor they’d removed, and they may well have had the panel off. 

That said I think there’s a carpeted pop-out panel in the storage bay wall adjoining the tank bay, at the streetside end... I could be wrong, and regardless I’ve never opened it if it’s there.  If so one may be able to get at things via that by crawling inside the storage bay with a flashlight.  Different coach models can be configured differently, and yours may not be that way.  Worth a look.  Even if a storage bay panel is there, it doesn’t mean you can get at the black tank sensor that way, esp. if the gray tank is in between.

Just offering up the notion, as the water bay panel looks to be no simple removal project in itself.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:27:01 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 03:55:54 AM »
We replaced both sensors on our 06 Monterey last year. Access was gained by removing both dump handles & 4 screws that hold the stainless panel around them. Wish we put elbows now as the black has already clogged up...........

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 04:26:42 AM »
You might want to look into the See Level system.  It mounts externally and is more reliable than any of the sensors we have had on our three Beavers.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 05:43:53 AM »
Thanks Dennis, I believe you’re on the money.  The stainless dump cover is relatively easy to remove and should provide decent access.  That’s no doubt how BCS got to ours so quickly and why I don’t remember the water panel being off.  The new sensor replacement was not as expensive as I’d expected, so I haven’t considered the SeeLevel option.  I also now vaguely recall a previous discussion some time ago here that broached that stainless cover approach, but my apologies to Dave that it since vaporized from my neurons.

As to the sensor getting fouled, it’s imperative the tank be thoroughly rinsed prior to lengthy storage.  It probably doesn’t hurt to keep a few gallons of water with added winterizer in it just so some itinerant debris can’t dry around and glue down the sensor membrane.  We’ve had only that one bad sensor since 2006, and that only due to my letting guests stay in the coach one night during long storage, and forgetting to subsequently flush rinse the tank. 

Joel
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 05:57:17 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 05:50:39 AM »
Having had an overflowing grey water tank destroy the expensive and difficult to acquire Aladdin moduals in the street side of the tank bay I just last week installed the SeeLevel Monitoring System. Installation was simple. The device I installed gives an LED readout of: grey waste, black waste, propane and water levels. The company was very helpful. If anyone would like additional information regarding my installation just drop me a personal email.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

George Harwell

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 01:36:48 PM »
Dave, just a couple of tips. Clean the tanks thoroughly and raise the drivers side of the coach a few inches . Use plenty of teflon tape. Good luck.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 06:56:51 PM »
Having had an overflowing grey water tank destroy the expensive and difficult to acquire Aladdin moduals in the street side of the tank bay I just last week installed the SeeLevel Monitoring System. Installation was simple. The device I installed gives an LED readout of: grey waste, black waste, propane and water levels. The company was very helpful. If anyone would like additional information regarding my installation just drop me a personal email.

I've had the See Level system in our Monterey since 2013, it works perfectly and is plug and play with your existing Aladdin System. Highly recommended as an alternative to all of the taking stuff apart deal.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad